Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm x-posting this as I just realized its probably more suitable in this forum.

A while ago I acquired a free 2000 trailboss 325 with a blown engine. Rather than repair that slug, I decided to swap in a bigger engine. It now has a 1978 Arctic Cat Spirit 500cc snowmobile twin!

Its about finished, currently running well and pulls hard with the stock 325 clutches and belt. I have a feeling the stock belt wont last long though.

It looks like i have 3 choices in upgraded belts:
Dayco HPX2203
Gates 20G4022
EPI WE262020

I'm leaning towards the EPI severe duty belt. What do you guys recommend?

If you're curious, here's a quick vid of an early test run:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Pol-Cat.... I love it!

Rips good too eh? Ringa-ding-ding. Haven't heard that sound for some time.

Well done Red!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you find a Gates model that works, cross that over to their new Carbon Fiber belts and see if you think that will hold up to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you find a Gates model that works, cross that over to their new Carbon Fiber belts and see if you think that will hold up to it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the Gates catalog. Unfortunately they only have the regular G-Force belt for this model. The G-Force Carbon is not available.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Gates G-Force is what I use.
I think alot of belts fail due to getting hot. From mud riding in high range at high RPM's or towing a heavy load at high range. Large oversize tires with improper clutch setup.Misaligned belts. not enough ventalation for the heat to escape the belt cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts