Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I acquired a free 2000 trailboss 325 with a blown engine. Rather than repair that slug, I decided to swap in a bigger engine. It now has a 1978 Arctic Cat Spirit 500cc snowmobile twin!

Its about finished, currently running well and pulls hard with the stock 325 clutches and belt. I have a feeling the stock belt wont last long though.

It looks like i have 3 choices in upgraded belts:
Dayco HPX2203
Gates 20G4022
EPI WE262020

I'm leaning towards the EPI severe duty belt. What do you guys recommend?

If you're curious, here's a quick vid of an early test run:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have no idea on what belt to recommend but that is both hilarious and great to see you pulling a wheelie with that Trailboss.
My old Trailboss never did that. :top:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea on what belt to recommend but that is both hilarious and great to see you pulling a wheelie with that Trailboss.
My old Trailboss never did that. :top:
That was the 2nd time it was ever run, and the clutches were not engaging properly due to too much slack. It will now stand straight up if you're not careful!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That is pretty sweet!! I can't even imagine riding a quad with a sled motor. That would probably scare me. :)

I think my stock RMK is like 115-120HP.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We have not installed it but have that Gates and it looks very heavy duty. I think is about $40 on Amazon. Which I was close to get the blown 325 engine for parts.

Did you have to do a lot of mods to get it bolted up and mount the belt pulley on the engine?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to do a lot of mods to get it bolted up and mount the belt pulley on the engine?
I had to fabricate all new engine mounts. The clutch actually bolted right on with a shorter bolt. The taper on the arctic cat crank was identical to the Polaris!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is pretty sweet!! I can't even imagine riding a quad with a sled motor. That would probably scare me. :)

I think my stock RMK is like 115-120HP.
This is an older, non-performance sled motor. About 45-50hp tops. Still much better than the 325 though!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Still, that's a lot of HP for that bike. Probably 3x the stock HP.

Can't wait till you get all done..... you'll be smoking many other quads. They won't see it coming.

You'll have to post more vid amigo !

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Carlisle Hypermax are supposedly very strong! I have one in my cargo for an emergency. The stock polaris belt is doing well but I don't know who makes them for popo...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The EPI one is made by one of the other companies. Only 3 companies out there that make all the belts, Gates, Dayco, and Carlisle. Any of them are good, but in my experience the Gates stuff is the best. The OEM belt on that should have no issues with the HP you have to it, and I bet you could even do a little bit of clutch work to dial in the motor even better. A buddy of mine has a scrambler with a skidoo 583 liquid twin in it. It's insane!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Damm that thing is SWEEEEET!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I run a Polaris brand RZR non-EBS belts on my bikes. Its is awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts