Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy of mine got his wife an ACE last year. To date it has been on its side at least 3 times. To his wife's credit, all by other people. I didn't witness any of the tip overs, but I know one involved swerving to miss a rock or something and going up on the lip of a trail at low speed. I know it was low speed cause my wife was driving it at the time. She wouldn't hardly go over 10 mph at the time. So anyways, the other two times may have involved higher speeds, but I don' think they were excessive, just turning at speed. From what I was told, his 850 XP wouldn't have had an issue making the turn. Granted, you can shift your weight on a quad, unlike in the ACE. I've driven it and it kind of has a feel to it that you need to be in tune with to run it at higher speeds and turn in corners and such in my opinion. Best to be in 2wd. I've driven it like a rally a car on some tighter trails with no issues. I'm not bashing the ACE, but I am curious if anyone else has had issues and what you have done to combat it since they are pretty liberal about letting others drive their ATVs, so just looking for some ideas on making it more stable. My suggestion to him has been to order after market rims to get the tires out a little wider and increase the base stance. He's also looking at buying the tires I am pulling off my 570 touring. They are heavier than the stock carlises that are on it now by several pounds. Figure this may help a little too, but may also increase traction so it may be a wash. There are no top add-ons like a roof or anything like that to add top weight.

Appreciate any advise I can pass along to him.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Buddy tipped his new trail rzr on its side and then hour later on its roof thinking he could get away from me on the quad while I was constantly slowing down while he rode th3 brakes.

He put 2" spacers on all corners and said it made a day and night difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buddy tipped his new trail rzr on its side and then hour later on its roof thinking he could get away from me on the quad while I was constantly slowing down while he rode th3 brakes.

That's kind of what I've suggested to him with the rims. Get something with a better off set. The model they have has the aluminum rims and they are really narrow and are tucked up underneath it. The factory steel rims that came on my 570 touring set wider than hers do I think. We have the same size tires and I know that when I had the factory rims and tires, my back tires sat way better than hers do. I'm buying some 26" Zillas for mine to replace the Artrax Contrax tires I have on there now, so I told him to buy some delta steel 4+3 wheels and have them sent to my house and I can bring the Delta steel rims and tires I have and throw them on the ACE.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Trail rzr and the ace may be great climbers with low center of gravity, but being only as wide as a standard ute quad, we all know the body English required to stop or minimize bicycling them...can't do that strapped into a seat.

Got old too with my buddy in the trail rzr trying to follow us through the woods. We always had to stop and wait for him to find alternate routes since he'd get hung up, or wed have to help.push the Damn thing up and over things we didn't pay much attention too, just rode over it. All because we could use body weight to help manipulate the atvs thru and over obstacles.

A wider stance will definately help

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

That's kind of what I've suggested to him with the rims. Get something with a better off set. The model they have has the aluminum rims and they are really narrow and are tucked up underneath it. The factory steel rims that came on my 570 touring set wider than hers do I think. We have the same size tires and I know that when I had the factory rims and tires, my back tires sat way better than hers do. I'm buying some 26" Zillas for mine to replace the Artrax Contrax tires I have on there now, so I told him to buy some delta steel 4+3 wheels and have them sent to my house and I can bring the Delta steel rims and tires I have and throw them on the ACE.
The key is to learn how to ride the Ace. Its different than anything I've ever ridden, and if turned too sharply will tip I've installed wider tires and 4+3 offset wheels and now mine is 55 inches wide in the rear and 53 inches wide in the front....compared to the 48-50 inch with stock wheels and tires. You're right there is no leaning with the Ace, but now that I've had mine over a year and can feel what its doing....its as stable as my old 500HO....and much safer

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Trail rzr and the ace may be great climbers with low center of gravity, but being only as wide as a standard ute quad, we all know the body English required to stop or minimize bicycling them...can't do that strapped into a seat.

Got old too with my buddy in the trail rzr trying to follow us through the woods. We always had to stop and wait for him to find alternate routes since he'd get hung up, or wed have to help.push the Damn thing up and over things we didn't pay much attention too, just rode over it. All because we could use body weight to help manipulate the atvs thru and over obstacles.

A wider stance will definately help
Uncle that low COG on the Ace not only makes it a great climber but also a great handler without having to lean it like an atv. I have been able to go anywhere any atv went that I have ridden with. They are just a different animal. And they do climb as good as anything I've ever seen. They would make bitch hill look like a termite mound....at any speed...LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key is to learn how to ride the Ace. Its different than anything I've ever ridden, and if turned too sharply will tip I've installed wider tires and 4+3 offset wheels and now mine is 55 inches wide in the rear and 53 inches wide in the front....compared to the 48-50 inch with stock wheels and tires. You're right there is no leaning with the Ace, but now that I've had mine over a year and can feel what its doing....its as stable as my old 500HO....and much safer
That's where the bigger issue is, is people driving it that aren't experienced. Like I said they are pretty easy going about letting people ride their ATVs, particularly the ACE. They have an older son that goes with us out to the river and occasionally will bring his friends so people end up riding it around. I guess if you are gonna let someone ride anything the ACE is probably the safer of everything out there with the cage. I think when he adds the rims and tires, it will make it a little more stable. I got a feeling that the rides maybe coming to an end. The first tip, when my wife was driving didn't hurt anything. The last two have cracked up the bed on it. They replaced it once and it got cracked up again couple weekends ago.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's the only bad thing with allowing folks to ride your toys, have to know and expect they will come back broken. I always treat somebody else's stuff like it's the last one on earth out of respect, but most dont...ballz to the wall because it's not theirs, and when they wreck shit a sorry and away they go never offering to help with money or labor.

We got 2 trail bosses for wife/kid and those are what I let her friends ride when we do stuff, not that I want them coming back broken or totalled, but if they did I ain't gunna be to worked up over it either so long as nobody gets hurt and they have a cool story to explain it.:)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'll bet its alot of fun Not to use body english - where's the fun in that?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'll bet its alot of fun Not to use body english - where's the fun in that?
Undoubtedly you have never ridden an Ace. Its like driving a sports car that's capable of most kinds of off roading...and when you get to 65 years old, then talk to me about how fun body English is. Aces are just downright fun, without any body English and will go just about anywhere a regular atv will go, and go some places a regular atv wont go....safely. Polaris made a great decision to build the Aces. For us old guys it will help extend our riding by years and being a narrow machine it can go most places that a regular atv can go....and the wider RZR's cant, Try one out on some trails and you will change your tune, and come back with a big smile on your face

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fortunately all the times it's gotten put on is side it hasn't been by all out neglect. The two times it hot damaged, once was their son and the other was his friend who is a good kid. He feels horrible about. He wants to pay for the damage, but I doubt they'll let him. I told the to duct tape the plastic back together and invest in am exoskeleton for it before the plastic gets replaced again. I tease them that that thing rolls over more than my dog.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I always see vids of rzrs tipping. I'm not surprised the narrower ace would.

Where exactly does an ace go that an atv can't?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I always see vids of rzrs tipping. I'm not surprised the narrower ace would.

Where exactly does an ace go that an atv can't?
X93.....the wheelbase of an Ace is 61 inches....much longer than an atv....so they can climb steeper hills than some atv's. The touring and x2 atv's would be close but they even don't have a wheelbase as long as an Ace. That's also the reason that RZR's can climb some spooky stuff

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
seems to be a common consensus, wider will help, but experience will help more. people get in an ace and feel a cross between a go-kart, and a jeep. and treat it as such, forgetting the tip factor. I've seen ATV's go over on their sides from swirving to miss a rut or root or rock or what not and going up on the bank at the side of the trail. No surprise an Ace would do the same.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
seems to be a common consensus, wider will help, but experience will help more. people get in an ace and feel a cross between a go-kart, and a jeep. and treat it as such, forgetting the tip factor. I've seen ATV's go over on their sides from swirving to miss a rut or root or rock or what not and going up on the bank at the side of the trail. No surprise an Ace would do the same.
Any experienced atv rider will recognize very quickly that the Ace will tip over just like any atv will. The problem comes when an inexperienced rider thinks just because it has a roll cage that they can ride it any way they want to, and they soon find out that they cant, but the wider you make the Ace the better it handles and the less likely that it will tip over....It still will but its going to take more than it ever could when it was on stock rubber and at stock width

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Good read, I am torn between a trail rzr and a full size Maverick (only thinking maverick as I found a new one for only a grand more than trail rzr and the rzr 1k's are 3k more).....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Undoubtedly you have never ridden an Ace. Its like driving a sports car that's capable of most kinds of off roading...and when you get to 65 years old, then talk to me about how fun body English is. Aces are just downright fun, without any body English and will go just about anywhere a regular atv will go, and go some places a regular atv wont go....safely. Polaris made a great decision to build the Aces. For us old guys it will help extend our riding by years and being a narrow machine it can go most places that a regular atv can go....and the wider RZR's cant, Try one out on some trails and you will change your tune, and come back with a big smile on your face
I'd have to say this is fact, no doubt. My choice was a 570 Sportsman simply because of the utility aspect and the lack of room on my 1.3 acre parcel. I have precious little room for an Ace and sometimes find the size of my Sportsman a little big. The few times that I've had it on the trail, I can appreciate the "fun" body english brings, which in a 60 year old equates to work. May have been fun even 10 or 12 years ago-not so much now. Oh it still brings grins, but it also brings aches and pains in areas I didn't know existed. Would I have been just sitting on 2.5 acres instead, it would have been enough to sway me toward an Ace. Same utility, and I'm quite sure those few trail rides would be far more comfortable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thinking about 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers, can’t go too much due to restricted width gates. Anyone tried them? Any improvement?

·
Registered
4 Posts
driving on its side

I had mine in its side once went to kick the rear end around and id didn't realize i was in 4x4, it didn't go more then 4 feet from stop to on its side. I don't use 4x4 now unless i actually need it. about $800 in damage.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Common sense and some knowledge about physic otherwise you can flip any machine.
Have seen a tank on his roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts