Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with Amsoil not working with the ADC right after I got My Sportsman xp 1000 and I put the Polaris oil back in and it worked but it was already damaged by the time I give up on the Amsoil.
With the Polaris oil it would idle down a hill in low at 1 mph and 3 mph in high but with the Amsoil it would free wheel.
And even after I was running nothing but the Polaris oil I could tell that it was not 100% .
And a few more 100 miles the ADC was not braking slow speed but was still holding back with the front wheels.
But now it's sometimes just doesn't engage the front wheels at all and only the rear wheels are sliding.
I tested the 4x4 and is still working fine and even in reverse.

So if anyone has had this problem or can help, Thanks

And Happy Father's Day.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,319 Posts
I had a problem with Amsoil not working with the ADC right after I got My Sportsman xp 1000 and I put the Polaris oil back in and it worked but it was already damaged by the time I give up on the Amsoil.
With the Polaris oil it would idle down a hill in low at 1 mph and 3 mph in high but with the Amsoil it would free wheel.
And even after I was running nothing but the Polaris oil I could tell that it was not 100% .
And a few more 100 miles the ADC was not braking slow speed but was still holding back with the front wheels.
But now it's sometimes just doesn't engage the front wheels at all and only the rear wheels are sliding.
I tested the 4x4 and is still working fine and even in reverse.

So if anyone has had this problem or can help, Thanks

And Happy Father's Day.
I started using Amsoil in front diff at 75 hours, at 1000 miles now and no problems at all. ADC works perfectly. -personally I don’t think your issue was the lube.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
Maybe the fact that your rear wheels are in a different zip code than your front wheels when going downhill and it's just takes that much longer for the rear wheels to know that it's in ADC??

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started using Amsoil in front diff at 75 hours, at 1000 miles now and no problems at all. ADC works perfectly. -personally I don’t think your issue was the lube.
I did a search and others had the same problem with Asoil and I'm 100% sure that the Amsoil doesn't work because I tried it back and forth 3 times and it works fine with the Polaris oil then didn't work with the Amsoil.
Amsoil is just too slick.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
I think most people wouldn't notice that Amsoil is not working right because the only way to know it's not working is to idle down a steep hill at 3 mph in high with no brakes.
Other than that it works fine.
I guess I’m lucky, mine still works fine,I did go out today, I have one short steep hill near me, it crawled down the hill at 2-3 MPH as it did when new with Polaris lube.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Maybe the fact that your rear wheels are in a different zip code than your front wheels when going downhill and it's just takes that much longer for the rear wheels to know that it's in ADC??
I think it’s quite possible that the ECM is now confused since the front and rear are now in different time zones.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it’s quite possible that the ECM is now confused since the front and rear are now in different time zones.
I'm going to check it out and see if I'm a problem with the electrical system.
I guess l just start going through brake pads like my friend does and he has ADC and doesn't use it and brake pads are into the metal in 600 miles.
I have at 960 miles brake pads are like new but but my ADC is not so good.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
I'm going to check it out and see if I'm a problem with the electrical system.
I guess l just start going through brake pads like my friend does and he has ADC and doesn't use it and brake pads are into the metal in 600 miles.
I have at 960 miles brake pads are like new but but my ADC is not so good.
I have a Fluke 218 ADC test meter, you need 4,512 ohms on the brown wire with yellow stripe at the front diff when at a 45 degree downhill angle and engaged in 4x4 ADC

Reactions: crazyflyboy30

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it’s not that steep. ..but another thought, since your primary joy is hill climbs, maybe since your using your ADC 2 or more times as much as the rest of us, you wore it out. Just like a Mud lover will wear out bearings and axles faster than the rest of us.
I think that same thing.
What goes up must come down.
Yes I been very hard on it and Sportsman is in the insane weight of over 1200 lb.
But I had the problem with Amsoil when it was stock.
I think I may need a Exorcist.
I think may have not named it
Holy Terror

·
Registered
443 Posts
I run Amsoil and have had zero issues. With my ADC engaged, I've been down some seriously steep, LONG down hill grades and rarely have to use my brakes. I just changed the oil in my front diff and it looked like I just put it in...

Something else is going on with it, doubt it's an oil issue.....Amsoil's stuff meets Polaris' specs.......

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
715 Posts
I run Amsoil and have had zero issues. With my ADC engaged, I've been down some seriously steep, LONG down hill grades and rarely have to use my brakes. I just changed the oil in my front diff and it looked like I just put it in...

Something else is going on with it, doubt it's an oil issue.....Amsoil's stuff meets Polaris' specs.......
You should see what Amsoil Intercepter has done to Snowmobile crankshaft bearings, Dominator seems fine however.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

YouTube

This video is from 2 years ago and you can see that I hit 6 mph going down a steep hill in high at idle and the only thing I did was put in the Amsoil that is for Polaris and before this I could go down the same hill with the Polaris oil at 3 mph and with the Amsoil after several times it started squealing.
I put Polaris oil back in and it worked fine and I did over and over and the Amsoil wouldn't work .
And I saw post from others having a problem as well with Amsoil.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Belt wear and one-way bearing condition makes a big difference in how well your ADC works too.
Right you are.
I did some more testing with it jacked up and it was working fine and was about to quit playing with it and it stopped working .
All of the electrical tests ok but I think that the electric magnetic is getting hot and going weak.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts