Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,809 Posts
Right you are.
I did some more testing with it jacked up and it was working fine and was about to quit playing with it and it stopped working .
All of the electrical tests ok but I think that the electric magnetic is getting hot and going weak.
Please, with great detail, please explain how you test out ADC when the ATV is jacked up off the ground.... Asking for a friend.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,306 Posts
Please, with great detail, please explain how you test out ADC when the ATV is jacked up off the ground.... Asking for a friend.
I was just typing same thing…..you cannot test the ADC jacked off ground that I’ve ever heard of….is your AWD failing to?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's simple.
You can only test the 4x4 with all 4 off the ground because the ring gear has to move and the front wheels will pull, but if you only jack up the front wheels they will just free wheel.
I know how it works and tested everything when it was new so I know what to expect.
The Polaris front gear case is strange to say the least.
To test the ADC with just the front wheels off the ground is simple with the key on in low gear ADC on the left wheel will lock in both directions and the right wheel will free wheel in both directions until the left wheel is locked.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I did a lot more testing and it no doubt something in the gear case that is not getting enough friction on the ADC Armature plate to engage the cage with the Rolls.
The electrical system is working fine and I could even hear the ADC Armature plate click and even put a battery straight to it still doesn't work.
Did more testing on the down hill and would work 1 time out 3 try's.
I just notice that the Sportsman steers better in 4x4 than in ADC because in ADC the left wheel is locked to the ring gear .

·
Super Moderator
15,107 Posts
I was also wondering about a cracked cage, but figured that would affect AWD to. 🤷‍♂️
It will... sometimes. Sometimes AWD will still function for the most part but will gradually get less reliable if a couple H springs are bad or there's just a minor crack in the cage letting it flex. His description of one side locking and the other side free wheeling sounds like something may be just starting to fail inside. I think I'd take a peek inside before ordering a gearcase.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
It will... sometimes. Sometimes AWD will still function for the most part but will gradually get less reliable if a couple H springs are bad or there's just a minor crack in the cage letting it flex. His description of one side locking and the other side free wheeling sounds like something may be just starting to fail inside. I think I'd take a peek inside before ordering a gearcase.
Great info right there, thanks, I’ll remember that for future use.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Camera Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory

Hear is a missing part that didn't know how to explain.
The ADC doesn't only engage the the front wheels it also has some kind of brakes has well and that is the part that AMSOIL doesn't work with.
I remember when I first got my Sportsman xp 1000 you let off the gas in ADC it would pull the rear wheels off the ground.
If you can't see what the picture is showing I will write it out.
(Visually inspect the clutch plate area if plates are steel on steel or if the friction material is worn the assembly must be replaced.)
Pretty sure mine are steel on steel after the Amsoil because it squealing before I gave up.
I have more a problem now than in will not even engage the front wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
View attachment 167928
Hear is a missing part that didn't know how to explain.
The ADC doesn't only engage the the front wheels it also has some kind of brakes has well and that is the part that AMSOIL doesn't work with.
I remember when I first got my Sportsman xp 1000 you let off the gas in ADC it would pull the rear wheels off the ground.
If you can't see what the picture is showing I will write it out.
(Visually inspect the clutch plate area if plates are steel on steel or if the friction material is worn the assembly must be replaced.)
Pretty sure mine are steel on steel after the Amsoil because it squealing before I gave up.
I have more a problem now than in will not even engage the front wheels.
As I understand it, the clutch plates act to engage the rollers/cage, not as a wet disc brake. Amsoil being slicker would make the parts last longer, not the opposite. But I’ll defer to a Polmans opinion, he’s got most experience I know of.

·
Super Moderator
15,107 Posts
Yes, the ADC clutch plates do wear out eventually just like any other clutch plates. That's why you are NOT supposed to run around with ADC turned on all the time. You'll wear out the plates prematurely. ADC should ONLY be used when really needed for extreme descents. Since you have that machine stretched out like a stretch limo, I assume you're doing a LOT of vertical terrain and using ADC a LOT. If that's the case, you're going to wear the clutch packs out way faster than a normal trail rider would. Depending on where I'm riding, I may not ever turn ADC on at all during most rides. If you were riding a nonEBS machine in that kind of terrain you'd be changing brake pads about every 500 miles, 50 hours or each oil change. That's just the way it is. If you're gonna play that way you gotta pay lol.😁

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes, the ADC clutch plates do wear out eventually just like any other clutch plates. That's why you are NOT supposed to run around with ADC turned on all the time. You'll wear out the plates prematurely. ADC should ONLY be used when really needed for extreme descents. Since you have that machine stretched out like a stretch limo, I assume you're doing a LOT of vertical terrain and using ADC a LOT. If that's the case, you're going to wear the clutch packs out way faster than a normal trail rider would. Depending on where I'm riding, I may not ever turn ADC on at all during most rides. If you were riding a nonEBS machine in that kind of terrain you'd be changing brake pads about every 500 miles, 50 hours or each oil change. That's just the way it is. If you're gonna play that way you gotta pay lol.😁
You are right.
I ride the hardest trails and hill climbs over and over again and it freaks out everyone and this is guys with SXS that is to scared to climb up it.
I asked my son in law that rides with me

Pay $1,400 and fix it or start buying brake pads and he said (I think you should just stock up on brake pads)
The $1,400 is no big deal to me but I don't have time to work on it right now. ( and nobody else is touching it)
And I only have 962 miles on my Sportsman so I would really hate be replacing the front gear case every 1000 miles or so would seem crazy.
Back when I replaced my u joint that was already damaged I was thinking about using the ADC just because of the bam bam that the drive line was getting for count less going from pulling to stopping.
And I have a friend with a Sportsman sp 850 that he said his brake pads were in to the metal in about 600 miles so I guess that's what I will be looking at.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As I understand it, the clutch plates act to engage the rollers/cage, not as a wet disc brake. Amsoil being slicker would make the parts last longer, not the opposite. But I’ll defer to a Polmans opinion, he’s got most experience I know of.
The Amsoil is so slick that the brake does work is the problem.
The front gear case has 2 Armature plates that is steel and no fiber on them ,1 for the ADC and 1 for the 4x4 .
And the clutch plate with fiber on them is the brake and is on other side gear case.

·
Super Moderator
15,107 Posts
Check out the older style ADC. They have clutch packs similar to a wet clutch in a dirt bike with stacks of plates in a cage on the output hubs #2. If you don't keep the oil clean, they get worn and will start grinding when ADC is activated. Wear of the fiber plates is why the oil gets dark pretty quick if you use ADC a lot.
Polaris Hub Kit, Genuine OEM Part 3235331, Qty 1 | eBay
Font Art Auto part Drawing Design

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
The Amsoil is so slick that the brake does work is the problem.
The front gear case has 2 Armature plates that is steel and no fiber on them ,1 for the ADC and 1 for the 4x4 .
And the clutch plate with fiber on them is the brake and is on other side gear case.
Gotcha

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, all I can say is this. I've got about 3000 miles on my stuff so far, have ran only Amsoil since the first service and have had ZERO issues with the ADC. I've been down some pretty steep stuff without using my brakes, and it's never once failed me. So still not sold on the oil causing the issue...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts