Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sort out what's necessary what's not on my first atv and could use a little help. I was sure to buy a Griz 550 until I wandered into a Polaris dealer over the weekend, I wanted to look at the ACE and a 570. I was impressed with the 570 except that you can only get EBS on the camo model and no ADC was available on any 570. I'd have to move up to the 550 if I want ADC. I'm hunting in a steep part of a buddies property, steep enough that it was a real pain trying to descend in the dark, lots of mud and rocks to boot. Climbing out was no joy either. I'm thinking ADC is almost a necessity but I'd like to hear opinions. Is moving up to a 550 worth the extra $$$ just for ADC? I've heard there are issues with the frames in comparison to the value line. Suspension and engine hp isn't really a concern to me since this is more a slow work than fast play vehicle, at least for now:).

·
Registered
123 Posts
ADC is nice to have 4 wheel engine braking....a necessity? ridden the same mountains for years on three wheels, its a luxury to me. Out of the 700 miles on my 850XP there is a few trails in sections I play with it...so maybe a 1 or 2 miles used at the very most.

With the ADC off still have engine brake on rear wheels, still have option to use low range...and option to tap the hand brake which applies brake to all 4 wheels. The engine brake is far more important to me than the ADC.

·
Registered
815 Posts
have you looked at the touring 570? The longer wheel base really helps out with steep inclines or descents for sure. And it comes standard with EBS which keeps the belt engaged vs free wheeling. Only down side is it only works on the rear wheels, but mine have never slipped.
And as stated above, you can't hit the brakes while using ADC, EBS doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't use the ACD on my 850 XP often, but when I am pointed straight down a wet technical mountain trail it is invaluable IMHO. It is pretty amazing when you just flip the switch and you pretty much just have to concentrate on your line as it's like autopilot for the engine and braking. That being said, the engine braking is very good so if I didn't know any better I would probably be fine. Also, the group of guys that was with me did just fine with standard engine brake except for the Rincon (engine braking sucks on a Rincon).

Not sure what the cost is for ADC but if it'si n your budget and you plan on riding serious mountain terrain it really gives you a sense of security on that technical downhill terrain. I ride stuff that takes a group effort to navigate so if your in that group spend the money.

I would say it is most beneficial on muddy / wet downhill terrain. I was riding down a mountain trail at Windrock and on one side there was mountain and on the other side it was straight down. There was no room for error and having ADC all I had to do was focus on the trail rather than worry about breaking. It is a very very slow controlled decent. I would say I only use it 5% of the time but I love it. I have done some short runs that had a solid 45% downgrade and you just point it and go. I would compare it to anti-lock brakes as it can adjust faster than you can for wheel slippage.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have it and I have tried it out...I honestly don't ever use it...Keep in mind that I don't live in the mountains, but there are definitely steep hills around here, and again I haven't encountered anything where I noticed it doing a whole lot.

I have played with it on the same hill, and I can feel it working, but it wasn't like a "wow, I don't know what I would do without this ADC!" thing.

I would say don't buy a machine without EBS, if your normal routine is steep long hills, but ADC would not sway me.

JMO.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would not let it be a deciding factor. I live in the Rockies and have used it once or twice just to see if it worked. I would not pay extra for it if it was an option.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I also wouldn't pay extra for it. But the 570 comes in white with EPS as well as camo. so if that's what your require, there is another option. ADC isn't on my list of requirements for my next machine. But EBS and EPS are. Both of which are on the 570.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, it looks like the nays have it. I'm completely new to this but one thing I found to be really out of place when I looked at the 570....didn't look to see if it was the same on the 550 but the placement of the battery seems to me to be in one of the worst places. Sitting open on the frame just behind the front wheels. Looks like a dead short in water to me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Lots of people (myself included) have commented about the battery placement, but it hasn't been an issue for any of the value line owners I've talked to.

As far as ADC goes; put it in low gear and let EBS do the work. Use the handlebar brakes do a little work if necessary. When I first started out, I left ADC mode engaged, but as I got more confident, I rarely use it except on really steep hill descents that are wet or slippery.

I'll second the recommendation for a Touring model if you can afford it. The extra wheelbase makes light work of things the standard 1up quads in my group have troubles with. And I can pop the rear seat on and take the wife along safely.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks guys, it looks like the nays have it. I'm completely new to this but one thing I found to be really out of place when I looked at the 570....didn't look to see if it was the same on the 550 but the placement of the battery seems to me to be in one of the worst places. Sitting open on the frame just behind the front wheels. Looks like a dead short in water to me.
To answer your initial question, I second what Tman84 said. I've played around with mine on the same hills (some very steep and rocky) over and over and never had that wow moment. Then again I have a nearly new quad with substantial engine braking. While I'd never get a quad without EBS again, I'd never go looking for ADC.

As for the battery, lots of posts around here that repeatedly state that it is not an issue even when submerged in mud, water and snow. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I vote yeah on the ADC... I've been in some steep dicey downhill adventures with my 700 and only rear EBS. I've learned to use the wedge technique on the 700 now to give me quasi ADC behavior going down the steep stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I vote yeah on the ADC... I've been in some steep dicey downhill adventures with my 700 and only rear EBS. I've learned to use the wedge technique on the 700 now to give me quasi ADC behavior going down the steep stuff.
Can you explain the "wedge technique". To me it sounds as if your using the clamping action of your a$$ to stop the quad on steep down hill runs. Something I would be firmiliar with, I've had a few of those on a 4x4 tractor.

I'll be using this on long steep narrow grass covered paths rutted out by storm runoff and strewn with sharp rocks and surrounded by trees. It's basically an overgrown tractor path carved out of an abandoned tree farm. For some here I may be exaggerating the angle of the grade but I wouldn't want to take my 4x4 truck down this grade even if the path was wide enough, I might consider the 4x4 tractor but then I have the bucket on the front if I really need to stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you explain the "wedge technique". To me it sounds as if your using the clamping action of your a$$ to stop the quad on steep down hill runs. Something I would be firmiliar with, I've had a few of those on a 4x4 tractor.
This old thread at ATV Obession goes over technique.
Thanks, that cleared things up.

Just out of curiosity, what are the concerns on the 550 frames? I noticed that the 570 appears to be a tube frame with a perforated base plate used as a stiffener and cross member. I didn't get a chance to look at a 550 frame when I was last at the dealership.

·
Registered
343 Posts
ADC is 4/front wheel engine braking and if you don't think it helps you must not ride rough mountain trails. It is invaluable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ADC is 4/front wheel engine braking and if you don't think it helps you must not ride on extreme trails. If you ride steep rough trails it is invaluable.
Do ride extreme trails, and amazing enough they were used before ADC came about. The advanced rider would push you through the trail if your depending on ADC.

There is no trail in existence a machine can go down equipped with ADC that a good rider with the same machine minus the ADC cant handle.

To me its like heated seats and mirrors in the truck...very nice, but necessity? not hardly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
ADC is 4/front wheel engine braking and if you don't think it helps you must not ride on extreme trails. If you ride steep rough trails it is invaluable.
Do ride extreme trails, and amazing enough they were used before ADC came about. The advanced rider would push you through the trail if your depending on ADC.

There is no trail in existence a machine can go down equipped with ADC that a good rider with the same machine minus the ADC cant handle.

To me its like heated seats and mirrors in the truck...very nice, but necessity? not hardly.
Big difference between sliding sideways down a power line with a death grip on the brakes vs creeping down in control viewing the scenery. There are several steep spots I did not try on my non-ADC atv that are piece of cake with ADC.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Believe what you like, but would almost bet the trail was there and used before ADC came around...and likely climbed with something smaller than a 1000cc engine as well?

I can see it now big sign at beginning of trail..."WARNING" EBS, EPS, ADC, XP, and nothing smaller than 850cc engine. :wow:

Then someone breaks out a 1980 Big Red rides on by....hilarious.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Believe what you like, but would almost bet the trail was there and used before ADC came around...and likely climbed with something smaller than a 1000cc engine as well?

I can see it now big sign at beginning of trail..."WARNING" EBS, EPS, ADC, XP, and nothing smaller than 850cc engine. :wow:

Then someone breaks out a 1980 Big Red rides on by....hilarious.
LOL...I love those Bid Red's!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the battery location.
I'm an Electrical Engineer, and yes water will conduct electricity, but it would take a lot more that 12 volts to cause the short.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts