Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is how I went about adding turn signals, hazards, and a horn to my quad to get it street legal for around $115. Polaris sells quads overseas that are street legal and it is a much nicer setup than adding turn signal switches to your pod,etc. I decided to try and get one of the factory switches which was a adventure since everyone I asked said I could not order a INT labeled part. I eventually just went ahead and placed a order with Partzilla and it came no problem..

The switch is part#4012435 and cost $65 with shipping from Partzilla http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/polaris/PP-4012435.html
Flasher from Amazon $9.90 Amazon.com: Amico Car Vehicle 3 Pin LED Turn Blinker Light Flasher Relay 12V DC 0.02-20A: Automotive

Horn from Amazon $8.53 Wolo 260-2T 12 Volt Mini but Loud Black Disc Horn : Amazon.com : Automotive

Diodes from Amazon $5 (for 50, you only need 2 and might be able to find local) Amico 50 x 1N4002 100V 1A DO-41 Axial Lead Silicon Rectifier Diodes - Amazon.com

Turn signal lights $22 (the rear 2 placed inside stock housings) 3 4" 3 Diode LED Amber CLEARANCE Marker Light Qty 1 | eBay

This video shows how to add the turn signal lights to the stock housings

This is the wiring diagram I used to hook up the turn signals and hazard switch (second pic down) http://mastercircuits.blogspot.com/2012/05/hazard-switch-installation.html

For the power for the turn signals and horn I used the accessory plugs under the front rack/cowl piece.

Currently I have everything wired up and working great except the turn signal/hazard LED in the instrument cluster (waiting for some electrical pins to show up)

Here is a video of it all working.. Turn Signal Video

As seen in the video you gain and loose some functionality with the European switch..
+ flash to pass
+ horn switch
+ turn signal switch
+ hazard switch
- Ability to turn off low beams (on European models this is controlled by the ignition switch so it could be added if you wanted to)

Switch wiring..
European Switch to US switch wiring

-Run switch
Red with black stripe to Red with black stripe
Orange to Orange

-Rev override/mode
Black to Brown
Gray with orange stripe to Gray with orange stripe

-Headlights
Yellow with dark green stripe to Red with brown stripe
Dark green to Dark green
Yellow to Yellow

The wiring below is for the added functions..

-Horn (positive in and out does not matter which)
Red with green stripe
Gray with red stripe

-Hazard (positive in from flasher and out to diodes and then left and right turn signals)
Red
Blue

-Turn signals (positive in from flasher and out to left and right turn signals)
Brown (input)
Blue with red stripe (Left turn out)
Dark blue with red stripe (Right turn out)

For the Turn signal LED to flash in the instrument cluster hook up to the following pins. It does not matter which is left and right as the LED shows a bidirectional image. I will post the electrical pin part number once I have it.
On a EPS models with 24 pin instrument cluster connector the Turn signal LED is pin 21 for left and 22 for right.
On models with a 16 pin instrument cluster connector the Turn signal LED is pin 6 for left and 7 for right.

Here is the part number for the electrical pins you need to add to the instrument cluster to make the LED blink for the turn signals..

Mouser part# 829-12084913
12084913-L Delphi Connection Systems | Mouser

Let me know if I left anything out..

Tim

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great write up! I will be doing this soon to my 09 850.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How about a pic of the switch. Is it a direct replacement?

Sorry, took a few minutes for the second video to start. Never mind!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What is the large square red switch on top that you pull up. I noticed that it also turns on the display and fuel pump. What is the red rocker switch just below that one? Over all it looks great compared to some of the after market junk I have seen.

I have been looking at doing this for some time now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The square switch is the run or main power switch which replaces the on-off-on that the original switch had.

The red rocker below it is the Hazard switch which is why when I turn it on all the blinkers are on as shown in the video.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Interesting so the hazard switch could be used to turn the low beams on and off instead. That's why I asked.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the tip on putting the leds in rear light housing. I did this on my 550.

·
Registered
260 Posts
will the DMV issue plates for this...in Wis there is no title when you buy a ATV and one is needed for a registration

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
WA state issues titles and registrations for ATVs but only registrations for sleds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great article and write-up! Do you know if this particular part will work on the 2014 Sportsman 550 EPS? I just purchased one, and then found out that putting the required stuff on it for street legal operation is gonna be a DIY thing.. I want to make it look nice, as well as functional, and your article looks like it would accomplish all of that! Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Here is how I went about adding turn signals, hazards, and a horn to my quad to get it street legal for around $115. Polaris sells quads overseas that are street legal and it is a much nicer setup than adding turn signal switches to your pod,etc. I decided to try and get one of the factory switches which was a adventure since everyone I asked said I could not order a INT labeled part. I eventually just went ahead and placed a order with Partzilla and it came no problem..

The switch is part#4012435 and cost $65 with shipping from Partzilla 4012435 SWITCH-HANDLEBAR,LH,INT'L $61.31
Flasher from Amazon $9.90 Amazon.com: Amico Car Vehicle 3 Pin LED Turn Blinker Light Flasher Relay 12V DC 0.02-20A: Automotive

Horn from Amazon $8.53 Wolo 260-2T 12 Volt Mini but Loud Black Disc Horn : Amazon.com : Automotive

Diodes from Amazon $5 (for 50, you only need 2 and might be able to find local) Amico 50 x 1N4002 100V 1A DO-41 Axial Lead Silicon Rectifier Diodes - Amazon.com

Turn signal lights $22 (the rear 2 placed inside stock housings) 3 4" 3 Diode LED Amber CLEARANCE Marker Light Qty 1 | eBay

This video shows how to add the turn signal lights to the stock housings Turn signal light install on RZR models stock tail light - YouTube

This is the wiring diagram I used to hook up the turn signals and hazard switch (second pic down) Installing HAZARD switch | Techy at day, Blogger at noon, and a Hobbyist at night

For the power for the turn signals and horn I used the accessory plugs under the front rack/cowl piece.

Currently I have everything wired up and working great except the turn signal/hazard LED in the instrument cluster (waiting for some electrical pins to show up)

Here is a video of it all working.. Turn Signal Video

As seen in the video you gain and loose some functionality with the European switch..
+ flash to pass
+ horn switch
+ turn signal switch
+ hazard switch
- Ability to turn off low beams (on European models this is controlled by the ignition switch so it could be added if you wanted to)

Switch wiring..
European Switch to US switch wiring

-Run switch
Red with black stripe to Red with black stripe
Orange to Orange

-Rev override/mode
Black to Brown
Gray with orange stripe to Gray with orange stripe

-Headlights
Yellow with dark green stripe to Red with brown stripe
Dark green to Dark green
Yellow to Yellow

The wiring below is for the added functions..

-Horn (positive in and out does not matter which)
Red with green stripe
Gray with red stripe

-Hazard (positive in from flasher and out to diodes and then left and right turn signals)
Red
Blue

-Turn signals (positive in from flasher and out to left and right turn signals)
Brown (input)
Blue with red stripe (Left turn out)
Dark blue with red stripe (Right turn out)

For the Turn signal LED to flash in the instrument cluster hook up to the following pins. It does not matter which is left and right as the LED shows a bidirectional image. I will post the electrical pin part number once I have it.
On a EPS models with 24 pin instrument cluster connector the Turn signal LED is pin 21 for left and 22 for right.
On models with a 16 pin instrument cluster connector the Turn signal LED is pin 6 for left and 7 for right.

Let me know if I left anything out..

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To know for sure check a online parts store and see if the 2013 and 2014 use the same stock switch. It should physically fit pretty much anything but it may have different wiring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Switch Availability..

Thank you Comp!

I called my local Dealer this morning and the Stock PN for the Switch Assembly is the same on the US Model 550 EPS from 2013 to 2014. The Wiring Harness PN's for the US Models and the EU Models are different though. Apparently, on his Microfiche, the EU models have the built in wiring for the Horn and Turn Signal / Hazards, and the associated Instrument Cluster Indicators. Polaris did not install the necessary wires on the US Models, in his opinion, because it is not required in the USA for off-road use, and it saves them money. At over $550.00 for a Wiring Harness replacement, it now pays to make your own!

As well, when I asked about availability of the EU Switch, he said it is available in Polaris's database, and it CAN be ordered.. it's just not returnable, of course. He didn't give me any static about ordering at all. Perhaps it's because I'm 12 miles from the Mexico Border?? His price for the EU Switch is higher than Partzilla's though. Looks like I'm going to have to start ordering some parts! :add_twinkle:

To know for sure check a online parts store and see if the 2013 and 2014 use the same stock switch. It should physically fit pretty much anything but it may have different wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is correct about the wiring harness.. you should be able to follow the wiring I posted unless they changed some colors which I doubt.

Hopefully Polaris will wake up and offer either a plug and play kit or a street legal option for US customers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best way to find out is to look up the factory part numbers for the one I did and for yours and see if they match.. If they do not match it still may work...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well I got my international turn signal switch from my Polaris dealer and have everything else to hook up turns signals to my 2013 850xp. Now wait for weather to cool off some 92* with 74% humidity sucks. I will report back on how the install goes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well I got my switch installed today on my 850. Got my blinkers and horn hooked up. Got blinker indicator hooked up on instrument cluster as well. Thanks again compunerdy for the instructions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts