Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding at Winrock park last weekend, a park with 20,000 acres of trails with my sportsman 800. As you know the 800s get terrible gas mileage out of their small gas tank. I was afraid all weekend of venturing off too far from camp and running out of gas. Before I go back to this park, I would like to mount a reserve gastank on one of the racks, has anyone else done this? Is there a brand or style that works better than others?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Are you talking about a true spare tank plumbed into the existing system, maybe with a switch? Or a jerry can?
I have never seen a spare tank. For a jerry can buy the best, Rotopax.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think I'd shy away from a plumbed tank myself..... sounds like a possible host of new problems. If it were me (and it is) I'd either look into the Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr, the Rotopax or carry a spare 1-2 gallon can strapped to your rack. Easy time to top a tank off is at the start of a rest break!!

I carry 2(qty) 1.5 gallon cans in my or wifes rear cargo/passanger seat..... as they tuck back in the arm rest area nicely. Also for Christmas the kids are getting me the Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr and Single Mount (I only know because I bought them, but they don't need to know that :D)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Carrying gas between the legs and or under the butt could get interesting in case of a Big Bang event. :)

Still that is not as bad as seeing the guy running down the road with 20 gallon in 5 gallon plastic jugs setting on a receiver hitch carrier that is tilted back and leading to one side. Rear end could be very gassy if he got hit there.

Sounds like your current 1.5 jugs work OK and sure you will like your 'surprise' Christmas gift. :)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Rotopax are better than kolpin, that is why they cost more. Almost never hear about a rotopax leaking.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I believe Rotopax offers a lifetime warranty against leaks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've heard of a couple instances of Rotopax leaking. Didn't see it first hand though.

I also heard kolpin has had problems, but have great customer service.

I think either will do the job just fine!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply! I am only looking to carry extra gas in cans , not actually connect it. What size do you guys recomend? The 4 gallon looks good, but is it too heavy? What do you use to anchor it on the rack, a strap or two?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed two 2 gallon rotopax on the back of my 850 using the universal mounting plate and I've been very happy with them. I've posted some pictures in my album. I made my own lock and ride widgets, since the pictures I did go back and make them 3/4 longer with another rubber plug.

cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
4 gallons does add some weight so in my opinion, the front rack would be optimal. It keeps the weight on the front during hill climbs. Only bad is that with a winch and 4 gallon pack the soft springs will sag a little. Might need HD to help with the sag.

Rotopax makes a front rack mounting kit for the 4 gal setup.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
I put (2) one gallon Rotopax containers on top of my front rack side by side.
They fit perfectly on the 2012 rack and the pod light is clear to shine over top of them. I ordered everything from rotopax.com . I suggest ordering the extra backing plate for the mount to use on the top of the rack. You can also order the regular yellow nozzles from them with extra rubber gaskets rather than those new funky EPA approved spouts.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ I would go with the 2 - 2 Gal. packs, then you have a more modular setup, and your not trying to manhandle a 4 gallon can on the side of the trail. also you can choose to carry less weight if its not needed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 4 gallon pack (which is two, two gallon packs together) weighs in at about 22 lbs. So no, I don't notice any appreciable difference with our without them. I noticed no issue either uphill or down.

Cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! Happy holidays!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have the rotopax mounted on the rear bumper? I came across a pict that showed one, but not sure if it was a Polaris.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you happen to have a pict of the mount?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone else have a mount option for a Rotopax that works for a 2012 Polaris Sportsman that you do not have to drill holes on the racks? I will only need to carry the extra gas 2-3 times a year and I would rather not drill or make more permanent, I would rather have an easy way to simply strap on or unbolt from bumper as needed...if there is anyone that has done this with the same approach, please send any advice

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Straps should work well

1 - 20 of 35 Posts