Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two machines at this time. A 18 570sp and a 18 450ho EPS. I am researching adding EBS to my 450. Not the down hill decent control just the EBS. The dealer says it cant be done. I have a hard time believing it can not be added. This winter I plan on comparing the two clutches to see the difference.
Anyone on here done it? Clutch kits dont typically focus on engine braking. But does anyone know of a clutch kit that assists with engine braking.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
No clutch kit that does any braking is out there to my knowledge. I'd compare part numbers. If the clutches are the same you may just have to add a one-way bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the secondary is different and one way bearing on the main. I will tear them down and see if the sp clutch will bolt on. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
There's nothing mysterious of difficult about it. You simply install EBS clutches and belt and you will have EBS.

Is this very expensive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Older machines have EBS available from Polaris. My dealer told me around 800 for those EBS. The 2018 and newer 450 uses a different clutch and EBS is not available according to the dealer. 2017 is available and uses the same as the 570 again per dealer. You can not simply buy something if its not made and is not available for that machine. That is why I am looking for actual experience with clutch knowledge.
Again I will take both my machines apart this winter and do some comparisons.

·
8,738 Posts
Ok guys, after doing a little cross-referencing, it looks like the simplest and least expensive way to add EBS would be to just install a one-way bearing for a 570 SP in the primary clutch. Part number 1521172... Around $45 from most vendors or ebay. All other parts of the primary clutch are the same... weights, spring, etc.
The OEM secondary should work just fine but for smoother operation and longevity you might also want to change the secondary to a roller-style clutch for EBS as used on the 570 as well. Part number 1323248. That's not so inexpensive... around $550+ new from Polaris or $130-$180 used on ebay.
Any good dealer will install EBS clutches when you buy the machine new for a minimal fee if you ask.

The belt is the same so it wouldn't need to be changed although I personally would install a new belt while doing it.

·
8,738 Posts
Older machines have EBS available from Polaris. My dealer told me around 800 for those EBS. The 2018 and newer 450 uses a different clutch and EBS is not available according to the dealer. 2017 is available and uses the same as the 570 again per dealer. You can not simply buy something if its not made and is not available for that machine. That is why I am looking for actual experience with clutch knowledge.
Again I will take both my machines apart this winter and do some comparisons.
I don't know who you're talking to at the dealer but they're not very well informed.
The 2018 450 and 2018 570 SP use the exact same primary clutch except the 450 clutch has a plain needle bearing in the center while the 570 clutch has a one-way bearing. The 570 SP comes standard with EBS the 450 is an economy model and does not... Its just a simple matter of cost/price. EBS costs more.
The secondary clutches are different. The 570 uses a roller secondary which works smoother and lasts longer.
The belts are the same. 3211113
Often times, the guy sitting behind the counter only knows what the computer screen tells them. They have no real-world experience with any of this stuff.
Like I said before, its not mysterious or magical its just mechanics and economics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont slam my dealer. You do not know them. As you said already the secondary clutch is different and that is the questional part needed to make EBS work. I dont need a lesson on counter people. You do not know me or my experience. It does not sound like you have real experience but just theory. Have you done the swap?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dont slam my dealer. You do not know them. As you said already the secondary clutch is different and that is the questional part needed to make EBS work. I dont need a lesson on counter people. You do not know me or my experience. It does not sound like you have real experience but just theory. Have you done the swap?
Maybe you should have posted your question then with “Dear Abby”?

·
8,738 Posts
Maybe you should have posted your question then with “Dear Abby”?
LOL... Now that's funny right there Sprotsman.
He asked a question and I took the time out of my busy day to answer and now he takes offense because I said his contact at the dealer has no idea what they are talking about when they told him he can't add EBS to a 450.
Sorry I bothered wasting my time to answer OP. I'm sure the dealer would rather you spend $1000 or more on a whole new set of clutches and labor. I was just trying to fill you in on how to add EBS to that machine inexpensively... Oh, that's right, your dealer said it can't be done!
Good luck to you and your dealer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Really, how well does he “know” his dealer? And if he does, then why ask the Forum for answers he doesn’t want to hear. Thought we were just talking-when did feelings come into the play?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Adding EBS? Not for me. I remove EBS on my sportsmans the first time the one-way goes out. If you do not have ADC, you get the famous Polaris skid with the back end sliding past the front end on steep slick stuff. I would be leaving it alone and taking the EBS off the other bike.

D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ride North Idaho steep trails. I use the EBS regularly with the SP. The answer to keeping the back from skidding is running in AWD on those steep hills. If the front end is engaged it will assist in holding you back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He asked a question and I took the time out of my busy day to answer and now he takes offense because I said his contact at the dealer has no idea what they are talking about when they told him he can't add EBS to a 450.
Sorry I bothered wasting my time to answer OP. I'm sure the dealer would rather you spend $1000 or more on a whole new set of clutches and labor. I was just trying to fill you in on how to add EBS to that machine inexpensively... Oh, that's right, your dealer said it can't be done!
Good luck to you and your dealer.

You didnt "fill me in" on anything. No actual input from you and negative slamming, You took time out of your busy day? Really. Please dont bother unless you are going provide positive input. This is why people dont ask questions and do not like forum. You keyboard tuff guys. Well bud I have lots of years wrenching and seat time in drag cars, offroad Jeeps, atv and utv vehicles. I have done lots of wrenching, building and swapping. I thought maybe before I tore mine down for comparison I would see if there was some knowledgeable people that could add to the knowledge. Instead I got crap from someone with no experience. Thanks for nothing but your crap.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I ride North Idaho steep trails. I use the EBS regularly with the SP. The answer to keeping the back from skidding is running in AWD on those steep hills. If the front end is engaged it will assist in holding you back.
The only time the front wheels are engaged is when the back wheels are turning faster than the front. Unless you have ADC, you are not engaging the front wheels while going down hill.

You will get the "Polaris Skid" on the 450 if you put on EBS.

D

·
8,738 Posts
I have two machines at this time. A 18 570sp and a 18 450ho EPS. I am researching adding EBS to my 450. Not the down hill decent control just the EBS. The dealer says it cant be done. I have a hard time believing it can not be added. This winter I plan on comparing the two clutches to see the difference.
Anyone on here done it? Clutch kits dont typically focus on engine braking. But does anyone know of a clutch kit that assists with engine braking.

Thanks
Dave
Ok Dave. Let's start over again. I take apart, rebuild, repair and install Polaris clutches for many different Polaris machines on a regular basis at my shop. I don't claim to be an expert but I do know my way around Polaris machines and Polaris clutches. I've been doing this a long time. In fact, I have a brand new EBS clutch and a freshly rebuilt one with all new parts I just finished sitting on my workbench right now ready to go. I could install either one of them on your 450 in a few minutes and it would have engine braking.
I wasn't "slamming" your dealer. I was just trying to point out that simply running a dealership or working at one does not mean they know all there is to know about Polaris machines. In my experience the opposite is often the case. I usually know much more about a particular machine than the person I'm talking to at the dealership.

In your original post above you said: "The dealer says it cant be done."
If he or someone working there said that... THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALIKNG ABOUT!!
You can tell them I said that and they can call me if they'd like and I'll tell them how... just like I was trying to tell you.

Second, you asked: "Anyone on here done it?" YES! I've added EBS to several different machines.
Not a 450 in particular but the clutches are basically the same on most all Polaris CVT machines... Yours is no different. I've also removed EBS from a few machines as Deucer likes to do. He rides out your neck of the woods and doesn't like EBS.

In the last part of your original post you asked: " But does anyone know of a clutch kit that assists with engine braking."
The answer is NO! There is no "kit" for your machine to add EBS.
Polaris used to sell a EBS "kit" for some of the older 500's that consisted of two new clutches and a belt. No such "kit" is available from Polaris for your 450 but that don't mean it can't be done. It only means they don't sell a kit.
I was trying to explain to you in a couple of my posts if you'd look back how to do it yourself inexpensively without the necessity of buying $1000 worth of new clutches. I'll repost those if you'd like.
You're making it WAY harder than it needs to be. As I said before, its not a mystery. I already KNOW how to do it. I've done it before... many times and was just trying to tell you how to accomplish what you want to do without wasting a lot of time and money doing it.

·
8,738 Posts
Ok guys, after doing a little cross-referencing, it looks like the simplest and least expensive way to add EBS would be to just install a one-way bearing for a 570 SP in the primary clutch. Part number 1521172... Around $45 from most vendors or ebay. All other parts of the primary clutch are the same... weights, spring, etc.
The OEM secondary should work just fine but for smoother operation and longevity you might also want to change the secondary to a roller-style clutch for EBS as used on the 570 as well. Part number 1323248. That's not so inexpensive... around $550+ new from Polaris or $130-$180 used on ebay.
Any good dealer will install EBS clutches when you buy the machine new for a minimal fee if you ask.

The belt is the same so it wouldn't need to be changed although I personally would install a new belt while doing it.
Here is post #7 in which I explain what needs to be done to put EBS on that machine inexpensively.
$45 for the one-way bearing.
That's all you would actually HAVE to do.
To make it operate more smoothly and last longer like your OEM braking on the 570 I'd also add the $130 roller secondary.
If it were my machine, I'd also put a new Gates G-Force belt on it at about 1/2 the price of a Polaris OEM belt for smoother quieter operation, better engine braking and longer wear. Here's a link to one for $55 on ebay. I bet your dealer won't tell you about that either! lol :grin

$45
$130
$55
$230 Total cost to put EBS on the 450 that will work just as good or better than your 570!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts