Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to do it. We'll see how it works. I ordered the dry storage box from a 2010 Grizzly 450. One of my friends has a grizzly and I took it off and held it up to the right front fender of my 2004 Sportsman 700. It looks like it will have plenty of clearance. So I ordered one. I'll keep the forum updated on the project with photos of the install and fitment.
Got the parts on Partshark. The box itself was under $10. But then between the lid, the plug, the seals and everything it cost me about $38 total. If this finally gives me a little "truly waterproof" storage it will be well worth it.
I always found the grizzly dry storage box to be one of the nicest things about the griz and wished I had one. Perhaps my wish is about to come true.
:fest06:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I want pics and measurements when you get these in and installed, so I can steal your idea if it works! :zha:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem fishhooker. I'll give a full report and detailed step by step with photos on this thread. That way if it works well, you and anyone else, can use the idea. I'm all for sharing with my forum friends. Thus my making shirts and sharing all my header exhaust wrap info. Now to wait for parts and a 4.5 inch hole saw.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts are in. I got a big box from PartShark yesterday. Trying to decide where to put the dry storage. It looks like it will either be on the front left fender. But to get a nice flat spot I may have to cut a small bit of the front rack off. No bog deal. It wouldn't cost me any of the lock and ride spots and being an older model the '04 deosn't have the front storage box anyway. Or I may use the back left fender just below the edge of the rack. One way or another I plan to do this Wednesday. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this done today!!! I did take photos but I can't share them as my old laptop I am using here at work wont read the card from my camera.

I put the storage in the left rear fender. I trimmed the rack some to get a nice open flat area to mount it in. The box sits above the tire and with my HD springs there is no concern about the tire coming up and hitting the storage box. My 350lb friend jumped up and down on it in order to prove that for me. Didn't get within 8 inches.

Used a sawzall to trim the rack. A 4.5" hole saw to make the hole. Back to the sawzall to trim a notch for the screw holes. Apparently the polaris plastics are thicker than the grizzly plastics because I had to trim down the retaining ring to get it to fit between the top of the fender and the bottom of the lip of the box.

I will get the photos posted as soon as I can. Probably tomorrow. In the meantime I am very happy to have a place to put my wallet where it wont get wet even if my posterior does.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Nice kicker! If you do a little write up thread with pics in the how-to section, I'll sticky the thread. Or we can use this thread after pics if you want. Very cool!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliment Blueline. I'll see what I can get done. Riding tomorrow and have work Friday. Pretty busy after that and I am going to bs changing jobs so I will be doing a lot of travel

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here it is, with illustration.

First trick was finding the right place for the storage to go. Many factors to consider. Luckily the 2004 gives a person a lot more options than a later model as there is just a lot more fender to them. The older style racks are smaller and easier to modify. I chose to mount mine on the left rear fender. for a variety of reasons. Some of which may not apply to the rest of you.
1. I wanted to be able to get into it while still driving. So I wanted it on the left, that way my right thumb doesn't have to let go of the throttle.
2. I wanted to keep it away from the exhaust pipe. Even with my exhaust wrapped I still didn't want to risk melting it.
3. My rleft front fender would have been nice but I have my "Official Lewis County ATV Trail Permit" sticker there. It can't be moved. I would have had to drive to Lewis County and pay $15 to get a replacement if I had removed it.

So the left rear it was. Surprisingly I even saved my "Shocker" sticker though the "No passenger's (unless they have really big boobs)" sticker was sacrificed. On a positive note I think the lid of the storage will be a great place for a future sticker.

With the spot chosen it was time to make some cuts. I opened the area up by cutting the front bar off of the rack with a sawzall. It is only plastic and doesn not inlcude any of the metal underframe, so it didn't harm the integrity of anything. I ensured to leave the lock-n-ride holes intact for possible future needs, but truly my whole rear rack is taken up by my 2-up seat anyway. So I didn't consider this a great loss.
With the area opened up I simply cut down in with a 4 1/2 inch hole saw. Not a tool everyone will have at home. I am lucky enough that my paramedic that I work with at the ambulance squad has a father in the fire truck construction business. He has large hole saws for making room for fire engine pump plumbing. 4 1/2 inches is the perfect size. Do use some sandpaper to knock the burr off the lip after you cut the hole and a file to smooth the edges of the rack where you cut it. (I could just see myself reaching back for my phone into the box and slicing my wrist open on the sharp edge of the rack. So my rack is now very well filed)

"A photo of my hole" (Ew gross. Did he just post that)(Yup shore did)

After cutting the hole you need a notch (about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) in one side to accomodate the protrusion on the storage box. I chose the front though I wish I could have put it in the rear. My 2-up seat is bolted on and a HUGE PIA to get back off. It was in the way of me getting the proper angle on the sawzall. So I mounted it with the notch in front. I think that kept less of the box from being over the tire anyway, but made the drain plug in the bottom higher than "the bottom." Oh well.
You also have to drill 2 holes to accomodate the screws for the retaining ring. Sorry I didn't note which size I used. I kinda free handed this. I would highly reommend using the gasket as a template to mark where your notch and holes should go. It will help.
In this photo you can see how I notched out the fender where the retaining ring doesn't come together.

Finally there is the retaining ring to put in place. Apparently Polaris uses thicker plastic for their fenders than Yamaha does. Because this does not fit without some modificaction. I had to shave about 1/8 inch off the bottom of the retaining ring (except where the screw holes are bacause then you would lose your screw holes) in order to get it to fit over the fender, but under the lip on the box. Spent about 20 minutes and a lot of sweat with guys trying to force the box in further, trying to shoehorn the retaining ring into place, sanding the edge of the hole in the fender. Don't bother. Take the retaining ring to a belt sander, grinder, or just whittle it with your pocket knife like I did. Once the retaining ring is shaved down some it fits like a dream.

A lot of folks on here worry about tire rub and clearance problems. I am not going to be one of them. My '04 has HD springs and 26" tires. I have miles of room. My 350 lb friend jumped up and down on it and tried to rock it side to side to get the box to hit the tire. Couldn't get it within 4-6 inches. I only weight half what he does. I think I am in the clear. However, prior to the HD springs I am not sure this would have been safe. I am sure someone will want to know how much room I still have between my storage box and my tire, I will try to measure it tonight. But inthe meantime here are some photos.

·
Registered
806 Posts
:bling: Very nice! Bummer the Boobie sticker had to be sacrificed. I think I will do this on my left front fender this winter, I have enough summer projects and repairs. Good job mang!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gtsum2. And Fishhooker, glad to help. I just wanted to prove it could indeed be done. And once I had a 4.5 inch round hole in my fender there really was no turning back.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Thanks gtsum2. And Fishhooker, glad to help. I just wanted to prove it could indeed be done. And once I had a 4.5 inch round hole in my fender there really was no turning back.
haha...I like your thought process! If I dont sell mine, I think I might be doing that same mod..that is slick! At HM a couple weeks ago I had my phone and wallet in the front storage compartment...I went nose first into a very deep puddle...I managed to stop myself before sinking the bike completely..luckily the wallet and phone were on the high side, and my smokes and chew were floating in my compartment on the low side...this mod would be very useful!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Do you have the part numbers for everything you ordered to make it?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Nice job Kicker. I like it. That is prolly the best mod I've seen.
We are going to need part numbers and sources for sure. :flowers1:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This is a great idea that was executed very well. Hats off to you kicker, splendid job!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Howdy Kicker.......Looks very good. Do you have the approximate outside dimensions for the storage box? Thanx......NoJoke

·
Registered
306 Posts
Great Idea Let us know how it works

So I'm going to do it. We'll see how it works. I ordered the dry storage box from a 2010 Grizzly 450. One of my friends has a grizzly and I took it off and held it up to the right front fender of my 2004 Sportsman 700. It looks like it will have plenty of clearance. So I ordered one. I'll keep the forum updated on the project with photos of the install and fitment.
Got the parts on Partshark. The box itself was under $10. But then between the lid, the plug, the seals and everything it cost me about $38 total. If this finally gives me a little "truly waterproof" storage it will be well worth it.
I always found the grizzly dry storage box to be one of the nicest things about the griz and wished I had one. Perhaps my wish is about to come true.
:fest06:
I too have been lookng at the dry storage boxes Suzuki K qaud has them too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts