Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys…Well just took ownership of a new 2013 Sportsman 850XP EPS. My question is when i took the sportsman home, I rode it around and checked my oil level the following morning and saw it was at the lower side of the hashmark on the dipstick. Well long story short, I saw it said it came with 2W-50, but when I went to the dealership, they did not have the PS-4 2w-50. They told me it was 5w-50 in the sportsman. I did say it was new, but I did not even see 2w-50 on the shelf. I bought the 5w-50 and added a SMALL amount to bring level in middle. I am now second guessing myself and wondering if I messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, great forum!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Fear not. You are fine. They have changed over to 5w-50 from 2w-50, so likely that is what was in your atv. Even if not, still nothing to worry about. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
They do not put break in oil in these. They changed the spec from 2w50 to 5w50 a while back.
That is what yours has in it, 5w50, the manuals are out of date.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank guys, was really starting to worry about this. Now I can sleep easy..lol By the way, first 4x4 quad and first Polaris. Being both new, so far this quad has the power of my past sport quads and the machine is very comfortable. Takes some getting use to not having gears anymore, but hey I will take it. Thanks again and look forward to posting on here again:)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
5-50 is fine. Most of us use Mobil 1 0w-40 full synthetic. There is no break in oil. You should change it after about 25 hours to get out the metal particles.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
5-50 is fine. Most of us use Mobil 1 0w-40 full synthetic. There is no break in oil. You should change it after about 25 hours to get out the metal particles.
That is a little misleading, and not a true statement at all. Some of you use Mobil 1, and some of us use only Polaris branded oils. As a new Polaris owner, let's not confuse things. For now, follow your owners manual and you cannot go wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,416 Posts
Just wanted to throw my thoughts out there as far as oils go. I use only polaris fluids. Even when it comes to my tractor and certain fluids for my jeep, I go OEM. Some fluids have specific additives that my not be in an aftermarket equivalent.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That is a little misleading, and not a true statement at all. Some of you use Mobil 1, and some of us use only Polaris branded oils. As a new Polaris owner, let's not confuse things. For now, follow your owners manual and you cannot go wrong.
Most do use Mobil 1 0W-40 based on this forum and for good reason, it's much higher quality then the POS Polaris oil of the month. Keep drinking the Polaris Kool-aid, oh yeah!

·
Registered
526 Posts
After TXRonnie posted his results after 10,000 miles of using only Mobil 1 0W-40 no one can call it a bad option I expect. :) Since Polaris branded motor oil of an unknown quality I can see why it is avoided by those that know about motor oil and want to know what they are putting in their new machines. However I do question Polaris oil being a POS but since its quality is not published so Polaris owners can be informed users of it some naturally are not going to use it because it is of unknown quality.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Let me repeat. To say that most use Mobil 1 is not true. Again, many do use Mobil 1 and many do use Polaris oils. Let's not try to deceive those who come here looking for factual information. Just because you are too cheap to spend an extra $6 a year to do an oil change with the recommended oil, that does not mean you use a superior product. Feel free to provide the documentation that shows it is much higher quality, as well as even being the proper oil to use in these engines. Just saying "everyone uses it and says it's better" does not make it true. You guys crack me up with your extremely over used crutch about drinking the Kool-Aid. Time to dream up a new catch phrase. That one is a little out dated. Just looking for someone to show actual, proven test data if they are going to make the claim. I don't need to know who makes the oil, or what's in the oil if I am using what is recommended. It doesn't matter. Who makes your gas? Who makes your anti freeze? Who makes your brake fluid or power steering fluid for you vehicles? Who cares? It doesn't matter if it is made to the proper specs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ahh yes, another oil thread. These always go the same way. Everyone has to get their opinion in on what the "best" oil is, usually with the reason of "it's what everyone else is using". Problem is that people on forums like this usually know little or nothing about oil, yet they're an expert on what the "best" oil is. If you really want to talk oil, there's only one place to go.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Do some reading there and the first thing you will learn is that THERE IS NO "BEST" OIL.

These are not complex engines, they're pretty basic low-tech engines actually. There's nothing special about them that makes them need some special oil. Truth is that most any 40 or 50 grade oil will work just fine in these engines. Doesn't even need to be synthetic like everyone here seems to think. Most of the "synthetic" oil everyone here is using isn't truly synthetic anyway. This includes both the OEM Polaris oil and Mobil 1.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Let me repeat. To say that most use Mobil 1 is not true. Again, many do use Mobil 1 and many do use Polaris oils. Let's not try to deceive those who come here looking for factual information. Just because you are too cheap to spend an extra $6 a year to do an oil change with the recommended oil, that does not mean you use a superior product. Feel free to provide the documentation that shows it is much higher quality, as well as even being the proper oil to use in these engines. Just saying "everyone uses it and says it's better" does not make it true. You guys crack me up with your extremely over used crutch about drinking the Kool-Aid. Time to dream up a new catch phrase. That one is a little out dated. Just looking for someone to show actual, proven test data if they are going to make the claim. I don't need to know who makes the oil, or what's in the oil if I am using what is recommended. It doesn't matter. Who makes your gas? Who makes your anti freeze? Who makes your brake fluid or power steering fluid for you vehicles? Who cares? It doesn't matter if it is made to the proper specs.
How did you come up with $6 dollars a year Bob? My dealer wants $14 for a pretty bottle of POPO oil and Wal Mart had Mobil one for $7 the last time I bought it. At my dealer that is $28 for oil and he wants $11 for a filter. That is $39 for a oil change. At Wal Mart for Mobile 1 it will be $14 for oil and $5 for the pure filter. If you run the recommended filter which I figure you do that is a $39 Popo and $19 Wal Mart. That is a $20 dollar bill the way I add it up. I guess if you put around 1000 miles or less a year on your machine it is OK to spend the big bucks on oil and change it once a year. When you are feeding 2 and you put the miles on machines I do I will go with Mobil 1 all day long along with synthetic ATF in the front diff and 5W20 motor oil in the tranny. Getting 10000 miles on a machine with the non recommended oils looks pretty good in my book.

Ronnie

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ahh yes, another oil thread. These always go the same way. Everyone has to get their opinion in on what the "best" oil is, usually with the reason of "it's what everyone else is using". Problem is that people on forums like this usually know little or nothing about oil, yet they're an expert on what the "best" oil is. If you really want to talk oil, there's only one place to go.

- Bob is the Oil Guy

Do some reading there and the first thing you will learn is that THERE IS NO "BEST" OIL.

These are not complex engines, they're pretty basic low-tech engines actually. There's nothing special about them that makes them need some special oil. Truth is that most any 40 or 50 grade oil will work just fine in these engines. Doesn't even need to be synthetic like everyone here seems to think. Most of the "synthetic" oil everyone here is using isn't truly synthetic anyway. This includes both the OEM Polaris oil and Mobil 1.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I agree. Good info over there. Scientific info, not just the same ol BS... Thought your username looked familiar...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
How did you come up with $6 dollars a year Bob? My dealer wants $14 for a pretty bottle of POPO oil and Wal Mart had Mobil one for $7 the last time I bought it. At my dealer that is $28 for oil and he wants $11 for a filter. That is $39 for a oil change. At Wal Mart for Mobile 1 it will be $14 for oil and $5 for the pure filter. If you run the recommended filter which I figure you do that is a $39 Popo and $19 Wal Mart. That is a $20 dollar bill the way I add it up. I guess if you put around 1000 miles or less a year on your machine it is OK to spend the big bucks on oil and change it once a year. When you are feeding 2 and you put the miles on machines I do I will go with Mobil 1 all day long along with synthetic ATF in the front diff and 5W20 motor oil in the tranny. Getting 10000 miles on a machine with the non recommended oils looks pretty good in my book.

Ronnie
You hit it right on the head Ronnie. People want to justify spending the money on Polaris oil and they only way they can is by putting down the #1 rated synthetic oil in World...I'm going to switch to sythetic ATF and 5W20 in the Tranny next time also on your advice. If you run Polaris Oil out of sheer ignorance than that is acceptable. If you are using it because you fail to use this forum for the value it provides or just because you a plain stubborn and swallow everything the dealer says the God Bless you. I'm guessing the biggest reason for using Polaris oil (a.k.a Baskin Robbins Flavor of the Month) is that is what the dealer uses because many can't find the drain plug themselves. :chairfall: I wonder if they also run Polaris oil in the cars and trucks because it's sooooo good....and cheap too... Polaris Oil, Origin Unknown, Viscosity SomethingWSomething, Pretty bottle, tastes like Kool-Aid and availble at the Holiday Inn Express or Geico. :bam:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Ronnie
You hit it right on the head Ronnie. People want to justify spending the money on Polaris oil and they only way they can is by putting down the #1 rated synthetic oil in World...I'm going to switch to sythetic ATF and 5W20 in the Tranny next time also on your advice. If you run Polaris Oil out of sheer ignorance than that is acceptable. If you are using it because you fail to use this forum for the value it provides or just because you a plain stubborn and swallow everything the dealer says the God Bless you. I'm guessing the biggest reason for using Polaris oil (a.k.a Baskin Robbins Flavor of the Month) is that is what the dealer uses because many can't find the drain plug themselves. :chairfall: I wonder if they also run Polaris oil in the cars and trucks because it's sooooo good....and cheap too... Polaris Oil, Origin Unknown, Viscosity SomethingWSomething, Pretty bottle, tastes like Kool-Aid and availble at the Holiday Inn Express or Geico. :bam:
I use polaris oil bc I have a horrible dealer that if u don't buy the oil there then they make u fight for warranty if something goes wrong!! That drive 2 hrs away to the next dealer.

S3

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
^bsutton^

Magnusson Moss warranty act states that what they are doing is illegal. If they want you to use Polaris fluids, and will revoke warranty if you don't , they must provide them FREE OF CHARGE!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts