Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Carb, and a newly acquired 2015 Sportsman 570 EFI EPS. So here's the thing.... EPS is awesome.

I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do, but wow, it makes a world of difference on tight trails!

So, SuperATV has the power steering kit, but its only compatible with the 2011 500 HO EFI, not the carbed. My guess is due to the stator. My question is, what is the worst that could happen if I installed the kit anyway? And if I do fry my stator, could I just replace with the higher output one of the EFI model?

Thanks for the help in advance!:thanks:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
They didn't make a 500 EFI in 2011...I'd buy it you shouldn't have any issues but heads up its kinda a PITA to install.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Carb, and a newly acquired 2015 Sportsman 570 EFI EPS. So here's the thing.... EPS is awesome.

I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do, but wow, it makes a world of difference on tight trails!

So, SuperATV has the power steering kit, but its only compatible with the 2011 500 HO EFI, not the carbed. My guess is due to the stator. My question is, what is the worst that could happen if I installed the kit anyway? And if I do fry my stator, could I just replace with the higher output one of the EFI model?
There is no such thing as a 500HO EFI, carb only. They have sold a lot of these eps systems.

if no one replies, email Superatv, they will reply.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They didn't make a 500 EFI in 2011...I'd buy it you shouldn't have any issues but heads up its kinda a PITA to install.
It says its a 360 watt motor, and if my memory serves me correctly, I thought the 2011 500 HOs only had 200 watt stator. Time to pull out the manual I suppose.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
The unit pulls 360 watts MAX. Most of the time it draws considerably less. The worst case is it will drain your battery. If your model is not supported its usually because there isn't physical room around your steering stem. On some of the two ups the battery is there, thus no room for the motor.

As stated above, call SuperATV, they have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find any good information in the Clymer's, so I sent SuperAtv an email. Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow. I did look in there and it does seem kinda tight, so perhaps fitment is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I can't find any good information in the Clymer's, so I sent SuperAtv an email. Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow. I did look in there and it does seem kinda tight, so perhaps fitment is the issue.

Clymer's are good to level your workbench with, nothing more.
The info I posted above is from my 2012 Factory service manual.

Here's the links, in three parts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_dlPEF1qXrvRW1rS25UVXlWRm4tUEtLNlhJbmoxMnNQd3I4/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_dlPEF1qXrvcmtpLURQdVJZSlk3R1NkVFNBSVdQRnZaVE44/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_dlPEF1qXrva2FsdmFNSGQtdmRTT1dMU3ZCaUR0MjNhWnFN/view?usp=docslist_api

·
Registered
155 Posts
helped a buddy do the install - totally agree it is a PITA. But the dealers charge a fortune to do it,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
helped a buddy do the install - totally agree it is a PITA. But the dealers charge a fortune to do it,

Yeah, I would imagine it would be pretty time consuming. Was it just just a general PITA or certain things to look out for???

·
Registered
155 Posts
things to watch out for

The first thing to consider before installing an aftermarket electric power steering unit is whether the machine’s electrical system will carry it without failures. The electric system draws off of the same system that provides power to any extra lights or add-ons you may already have. Taxing this system can create hazards and possibly ruin any other sensitive electronics by running them low on voltage during operation. Do research on your particular machine to be sure that there is extra wattage left over when the machine is being run with these additional electrical devices installed. Chances are you may need an additional or back-up battery to handle the load.

Secondly, you want to know exactly what type of assist you will be getting from the aftermarket EPS unit. Most should provide steering that feels light and moves smoothly while at lower speeds, under 10mph, but reduces as the speed picks up. You do not want a steering wheel that is too free moving at speeds because this could cause the machine to feel out of control.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The superatv kit is,speed sensitive, so no worries there.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

I just heard back from SuperATV, and they confirmed that it will fit. So.... What kind of problems am I going to run into electrical wise? I always keep my quads on battery tenders, and most of my riding is done on property that I own. If it's just a matter of getting a bigger battery, that is 100% do-able. As others have posted, it looks like my stator is a 260watt, and motor draw from the power steering unit is 380 watts MAX. Still trying to figure out why they have the 2011 500 HO EFI listed as compatible mode, when it wasn't produced that year.....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

I just heard back from SuperATV, and they confirmed that it will fit. So.... What kind of problems am I going to run into electrical wise? I always keep my quads on battery tenders, and most of my riding is done on property that I own. If it's just a matter of getting a bigger battery, that is 100% do-able. As others have posted, it looks like my stator is a 260watt, and motor draw from the power steering unit is 380 watts MAX. Still trying to figure out why they have the 2011 500 HO EFI listed as compatible mode, when it wasn't produced that year.....

It was probably a typo on their part. It will fit.

Not sure what to say on the electric part.

Maybe do another thread asking how many value models have it, and what years?

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts

Don't think you will see a problem, electricwise. You stator is full time output and the PS is only drawing when it's actually operating. It's not a full time motor. If start out with a fully charged, good battery, I don't see any problem at all. Besides, the PS will just not work if you go to low voltage. No biggie.
New, higher capacity battery - maybe a good idea, for the future.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
x2 on what phil said

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just happy I decided to post. I didn't know there wasn't an EFI 500 HO that year and just always assumed it couldn't be added because of the electrical system.

Now, I'm gonna have to scrape up $700 to get this power steering on the way! As nice as the 15 570 is, I really didn't want to buy another one just because of power steering. Thanks for the help guys I'll post back and let everyone know how the install went!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you use a plow or winch you might have charging issues. Otherwise it should be ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I just heard back from SuperATV, the first response was from an eBay seller, UTVPRO. SuperAtv says that on the carb versions the fuel fittings get in the way of the power steering unit and the only way to make it work would be fab a custom fast tank. So.... I need to do a little bit of digging to see if the eBay seller is the same situation, which i suspect it is......

·
Registered
155 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Sportsman-Steer-Steering-PS-P-SPT-380/dp/B00D8HJKNU[/ame]

what about the Polaris Kit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts