Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pre 2004.5 sportsman 700 and i want to add power steering but i understand the kit they list is not a bolt on for my atv but a few minor mods and it fits perfect.
From reading i gather it interferes with the fuel outlets on the tank. I dont have the stock two outlet tank as i have changed it to the 2004.5 and later tank with one outlet so the fuel gauge now works.
I called Superatv tech line and the lady that i talked to said it will not fit and not to bother trying:oops: Sure seems odd sense other have done it.
Can anyone who has done this offer a little guidance on what all needs to be done to install it.
This is the kit i think i need.
Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Ok well it's windy and sleeting outside and just a crapy day out. Im 60yo married and the wife is doing her "crafts" so im bored and got nothing better to do the listen to old Art Bell reruns and type a huge long post to bore everyone else馃樀
So basically i was going to buy a new quad this spring but unexpected bills(back surgery) is forcing me to postpone that for a year as bills come first round here.
My ole 700 runs just fine and was going to sell it to partially pay for the new quad but now keeping it for a year.
I put new EPI front HD springs on it last fall and it needed aligned after that but i could never get it right馃ゴ. Always had a slight pull to the left or right and handle bars were never straight.
Started checking things out further i discovered the lower A arm bushings were shot allowing almost 1/4 movement front/back and the tie rods ends had a little play in them also.
So ordered a Quad Boss upgrade tie rod kit and Caltric A arm bushings last November and now my back is healed enough its time to start fixing this bad boy up馃槈
Got it all apart as the pictures show.
As we all know Polaris did not install grease fittings on some years and i got one with out. Once i had the lower A arms off i found they were full of rusty water and mud.
Got the A arm and center rod all cleaned up and looking good. Before i put it back together i installed a grease fitting on each one so i can keep that crap out.
ball joints were sloppy moving but i could not detect any play in them but i ordered new ones today anyway from All Balls.
Wheel bearings feel great so i used the greaser tool i ordered, figure im good there.
I had to replace the carb adapter when i got it as it was split. Now the dang new(Polaris) one is splitting also! Must be a alignment issue or something i need to figure out.
The engine runs great uses no oil all summer after i put a new metal valve cover on it. I do have a few major spare parts(transmission and rear differential) for it trying to fix a issue that turned out to be bad drive and driven clutch.
i also changed the fuel tank out with a 2005 tank as it had i fuel level sender in it that allowed me to enable the fuel gauge on the speedo read out.
So about the last thing i can do is add the power steering kit from Super atv and im ordering it tomorrow unless i get some definite feed back it will not fit and now is the perfect time to do it for sure!
Anyway i figure all this work im doing will only make it worth more next spring when i sell it for a new one.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have ordered some aluminum wheels, Race line mamba 12x7-156 and i can't seem to find out what wheel studs i will need to get as the stock ones are to short im sure.
Anyone have a idea what i would need?

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
My weekend so back at it:)
Last September(ish) i installed a new drive and driven clutch along with a new belt.
Im wondering if there is any maintenance i should/need to do to them as long as this is inside getting all this other work done to it sense im at it?

I have ordered some aluminum wheels, Race line mamba 12x7-156 and i can't seem to find out what wheel studs i will need to get as the stock ones are to short im sure.
Anyone have a idea what i would need?
You'll need to make sure if the nut seat in the wheels is a straight tapper. Some aluminum wheels have a radiused tapper and need those specific type nuts.
The studs you have now for steel wheels are 7515513 3/8" x 24 - 1.12
The Polaris studs for cast aluminum wheels are Polaris # 7518378 3/8" x 24 - 1.38
If you got matching lug nuts with your new wheels make sure they are 3/8" x 24 and not metric thread. The 3/8" Polaris nut for cast wheels is # 7547309
There are many different aftermarket studs and various style nuts out there either with SAE or metric thread.
So long as the studs are 1.38" - 1.5" long or basically about 1/4" or a little longer than the ones you have now for steel wheels they will work if you have the correct nuts. The huts are not open ended so if you go on the longer side for studs make sure the nuts are deep enough to not bottom out. Some nuts are very short and you can run into problems there if too much stud is sticking through the wheel.
Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask what the offset of those wheels are?
You don't want to run into clearance problems with your strut front suspension.

Do us a good write up with pictures on the steering install.
Others with older machines will find that info very helpful. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the reply!
I have ordered 1.5 long 3/8-24 studs and the nuts i ordered are tapered 3/8-24 thread and have a internal depth of .435.
Plan is to install 1 stud and make sure it all fits together with the wheel stud and nuts.
Offset if i remember right with out checking is 4+3 or what ever the stock off set is as i did not feel any need to start messing with that stuff and making life more difficult as i ride mostly mountain road and 50in trails and avoid mud if at all possible!
I have not ordered the power steering kit yet as i have not gotten any feed back at all so im kind of afraid of throwing away $800 bucks. From reading the very little i can find and looking at the instructions it looks to me with minor modification it will bolt on but i dunno:eek: and i don't own a welder to fab brackets.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
This is a little worrying.
When i first got it i changed all oils so there is less then a year on the front diff oil(DDF) Im guessing between 3/500 miles.
Could just be washing junk out as im sure it was not changed for probably 10 years so after i get a few hundred miles on it again ill change it again and decide it it needs rebuilt or not. It does work perfect though.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
So talked to some one in the know about this power steering kit. He said it had been awhile sense anyone wanted to do this on a older machine and it was hard to remember the exact details.
He said from what he remembers the motor will interfere with the tank fuel outlet.
From the one boobtube video i can find one of the unused bolt holes will hit the tank outlet but he ground it off about 1/4 in to make clearance. Also read that someplace so im pretty sure that is the major problem.
The informant also said the steering post might be to long but was really unsure about that. Im betting its the same but if not shortening it is pretty easy.
On my own here for sure as im probably the last guy that will ever do this to a 2004 but its ordered and estimated delivery is Friday.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Question on alignment.
Right now i have new wheels and tires sitting here unmounted.
Would it be easier to do the alignment before i mount the tires to the wheels with just the bare wheels bolted on? Seems like it would be way more accurate that way.

Yes, you can do it that way.
May have to fine tune a little once everything is mounted and wheels on the ground.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Ah dang forgot the alignment will change once on the ground. Might as well mount the tires i guess.

Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Pictures as you go, we all like pictures!

Ah dang forgot the alignment will change once on the ground. Might as well mount the tires i guess.
I often go ahead and set them off the brake discs and can usually guesstimate the difference and get them real close. I also will generally lift just enough so most of the weight is off the tires and adjustments are easy to see when cranking the tie rod even when the tires are on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
So the kit finally showed up today and after work i did get a little done. To get to this point took less then a hour.
At this point it all fits just fine with two problems i will get to.
None of the bolts are tight yet. I think i will hook up the electrics now before everything is in place and tight. The motor output shaft is centered close but until it is powered up you have no way i could find to know it is dead center. There is only about 3/4 inch adjustment so dead center is important to start with.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
One minor problem is the steering stem after all. Its pretty minor. Measuring from the top of the frame to the bottom of the stem its 4.450in the original one measured 4.0.
The original ones probably very a little bit from the factory so i think i will just not worry about it unless someone has a good reason to shorten it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts