Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 850 Sp, and was wondering about adjusting spring tension. My past bikes all had the struts on the front. What is the proper adjustment for trail riding?

·
9,489 Posts
Just bought an 850 Sp, and was wondering about adjusting spring tension. My past bikes all had the struts on the front. What is the proper adjustment for trail riding?
The proper adjustment is whatever feels right to you given your riding style, weight, tires, terrain and other factors. I weigh about 190. Just cruise most of the time on fairly tame terrain but occasionally like to gas on it and get a little aggressive on certain trail sections. I sometimes hit some pretty knarly stuff too. I also carry overnight gear and a chainsaw sometimes too. I generally run my new 1000 springs cranked up two notches. For me, that is just firm enough to handle the weight load, most of the terrain I'll ordinarily encounter and still handle ok when I want to gas on it. But its not so stiff as to be annoying when I am just putting around carrying no load going slow.
Suspension is a personal setting. Nobody else can tell you where to set yours. You have to experiment with different settings and see what you like. Besides, you don't REALLY have any adjustments with the OEM shocks other than spring preload. If you have good aftermarket suspension you can adjust damping and rebound in addition to preload which gives you a wide range of variation to dial the machine in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you input, I adjusted the front corners to address the possible rubbing with my new tires. Monday as I was some trails and hills, I noticed that the rear shocks kept bottoming out. Gonna crank the rear 2 notches and see how stiff it becomes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts