Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace buttons in secondary clutch and not sure which setting to set spring at. I set it at 2 -2 but now it tops out at about 30 mph now and its rapped out. Is this setting too high? Is factory more like a 1-2? It doesn't feel like its shifting fully through the range only aboit half way

My daughters ride it mainly so I want it to be stock so it will ride same as our other trailblazer.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
2-2 is factory default. I'd recheck it just to be sure you did it correctly.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was sure to preload spring. 1/3 turn ccw with the sheave, just enough b to get back on other side of buttons. It feels like its too tight and wont release enough to fully release. Its either that or primary doesnt have enough spring or weights to overcome secondary clutch pressure.

Looking at the winding 2-2 is 2nd from hardest. The setting that would put the least pressure would be 1 helix and 3 sheave, since it would have the least preload.

I bought this used and dont know if any clutch work was done before. I had to replace cylinder and piston. It engages at a higher than normal rpm. I understand this would be due to primary clutch settings. This leads me to believe clutches may have different springs and maybe weights in primary.

From what I can see outside primary spring is red. Secondary spring is white. Also helix ha some grooves worn into it from old buttons. I used a file and sand paper to smooth out but it isnt smoothed to be as shiny as it should. Its possible this is causing too much friction?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Red primary spring sounds aftermarket which would explain your higher than normal engagement. Almost all the 500 and under quads have a light blue with green chaser for the stock primary.

Not sure about the secondary color for your model. My 500 was black. It's possible that it is also aftermarket. If I were in your shoes, I'd lighten up the preload and see it if gets better. Just my .02. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked and realized that it does have aftermarket clutch parts. The helix on secondary is says HSP 45/40 also assuming spring is different.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That would be a hot seat clutch kit. Going to have to call speedwerx and see what they can tell you or keep trying different settings till you get it right.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Checked and realized that it does have aftermarket clutch parts. The helix on secondary is says HSP 45/40 also assuming spring is different.

I kinda thought so. Give hsp a call and see if they have any insight for ya.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went with 1-3 setting (least preload) and seems to be going good now. It now will reach a much higher speed. Thanks everyone foor the input. It sucks to aftermarket parts and not realize it, and kep setting it for stock. Oh well, there is an upside, I can now take off secondary clutchin my sleep in less than 5 min. ;)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Cool, glad you got it all worked out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts