Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know how to adjust the rear suspention on a 09 XP 550?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You should have gotten a shock and clutch wrench in your tool bag when you got your xp. simply put the wrench in the notches and turn your shock up a notch or 2 or whatever stiffness you desire. it should be set at the lowest softest setting from the factory. :1244:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Hey, thanks chopper89! I did get that stuff you mentioned in your reply, but do i have to take the rear wheels off just to do it? I cant seem to get it in on the notches properly.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yea the back you have to take the tires off to get a good grip on them .

·
Registered
667 Posts
jack up the wheels they will move a lot better then and give a shot of WD40 at the shock cam also.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!

Thanks fellas! Will do what you said, if i can get the nuts off the wheel! The dealership over tightend them. Thanks though!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks fellas! Will do what you said, if i can get the nuts off the wheel! The dealership over tightend them. Thanks though!
Ya, mine too, lugs were super tight. I've got my springs cranked up to level 5 on front and rear, major difference on aggressive riding and jumping...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I couldn't even get to my adjusters at first. I had to take the shocks off and flip them upside down to get better access around then swaybar to use the adjuster tool.

Taking wheels off are mandantory.

Scrapped them all eventually and got some Elkas that are super easy to adjust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does making this adjustment make a noticeable difference in the ride?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Does making this adjustment make a noticeable difference in the ride?
Very little difference using stock suspension. It has a little less dip when cranked to the highest setting. More noticeable with aftermarket shocks. Highest setting worked the best for me during aggresive rides on stock shocks.

Could never get enough preload on stock shocks to fully support my snowplow on the front.

There is a diffrence. Change the setting and take a ride to test it out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I turned mine up one notch to see if there will be a difference since i added a winch and front bumper so maybe it wont be so wishy washy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts