Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got 2014 Polaris sportsman 400 HO. The machine has very little use. Looking to hear opinions/advice on some suggested upgrades to the wheeler.

Will be mainly using it for around my property, some trail riding, hunting and ice fishing. Currently has no winch so I’m looking for recommendations on that.

Any other recommendations on possible issues and upgrades that would benefit me.

Also if anyone has anything they are selling that may be of interest to me please feel free to let me know. Thank you in advance for the help

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Here's my must haves:
1-tire up-grade, that depends and there is a ton of threads on the topic
2-skid plates, Iron Baltic
3-LED's, Rigid Industries
4-bumpers, Guru
5-storage, :nixweiss:
6-winch, Warn
7-clutch kit, QSC from RVSPerformance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my must haves:
1-tire up-grade, that depends and there is a ton of threads on the topic
2-skid plates, Iron Baltic
3-LED's, Rigid Industries
4-bumpers, Guru
5-storage, :nixweiss:
6-winch, Warn
7-clutch kit, QSC from RVSPerformance
BP405 Thanks for the advice thats a big help. What fluids do you prefer and grease?
Just curious what brands and product you like to use, I know everyone has there preference

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also any specific fluids for the winter? I live in northern Vt and will be running it in very cold temps as well as storing it.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Me I'm running strickly Polaris oils. I use quality marine grade grease, depending on where I am (Napa Wal-Mart) I'll just grab a tube or two. Antifreeze is always Prestone. I haven't but I would consider using an alternate motor oil and filter. Alot of guys are big on Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella. Oh and one more point/question on the motor oil. This year I'll be doing some thing different, in the winter I will be running Polaris's standard oil and come the warmer months (depending on oil change timing) I'll switch to Polaris's HD oil which just has I higher viscosity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me I'm running strickly Polaris oils. I use quality marine grade grease, depending on where I am (Napa Wal-Mart) I'll just grab a tube or two. Antifreeze is always Prestone. I haven't but I would consider using an alternate motor oil and filter. Alot of guys are big on Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella. Oh and one more point/question on the motor oil. This year I'll be doing some thing different, in the winter I will be running Polaris's standard oil and come the warmer months (depending on oil change timing) I'll switch to Polaris's HD oil which just has I higher viscosity.
BP405 I am looking to get s storage system that I can easily interchange. Gun carrier,chainsaw.... would you happen to know of any quality systems?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just recently got 2014 Polaris sportsman 400 HO (Congrats). The machine has very little use. Looking to hear opinions/advice on some suggested upgrades to the wheeler.

Will be mainly using it for around my property, some trail riding, hunting and ice fishing. Currently has no winch so I’m looking for recommendations on that.
With the ATV being utilized in all seasons I’d recommend a good 6 or 8 ply tire - My preference is GBC Grim Reapers. They are a very solid choice for all conditions. I’ve run numerous tires and the Reaper suffices and exceeds all my needs and have never given me a reason to pull out a plug kit. Since I’ve installed them I’ve also had no need for AWD. I’m not a mudder by any means but when I’ve gone deep, 2WD was all that was needed.
Any other recommendations on possible issues and upgrades that would benefit me.
Being that this bike will be used in freezing temps frequently, and as we know plastic gets real stiff in cold, I’d recommend a billet aluminum thumb throttle replacement as they are known to snap. I would also recommend hand warmers (Pure Polaris) and thumb warmer (Pure Polaris).
Also if anyone has anything they are selling that may be of interest to me please feel free to let me know. Thank you in advance for the help
As for fluids I use all Polaris products
Grease I use Lucas HD Marine Grade

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
BP405 I am looking to get s storage system that I can easily interchange. Gun carrier,chainsaw.... would you happen to know of any quality systems?
Select category and it has gun boots, chain saw boots, and ice fishing options.

https://www.kolpin.com/shop-by-vehicle/shopbymodel/?type=2&make=Polaris®&year=2014&model=Sportsman® 400/500/600/700/800

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Like auto mentioned kolpin has lots of good products like that. Also check out the Polaris line of accessories. Cabela's is another good source for those type accessories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts