Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking I need a 850 mostly want to upgrade to get eps cause I just got tracks. Anyways it's a 12 850 le it had some big mud tiresome lift that's not included and has cobra axels that are incleded. 1100 miles. $6500 So obviously I know it has been in the mud but so has most atvs. My question is what else should I worry about getting this atv.
My 09 550 runs perfect but want the eps and 850. Any advice or opinions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
My opinion is, I would pass on one that has obviously been in the mud!
It is not impossible to find a used one that has not been rough housed in the mud.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I agree, I would steer clear. Way too many gremlins could arise on a machine like that. Your 550 should be able to turn those tracks fine with a clutch kit and if you really want power steering you can go aftermarket for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have to agree with the above responses. Mud kills unless you spend alot of coin modifying the machine. Just the wear and tear it puts on the engine, trans and EPS would make me walk away.

Now you say he dropped the price, sounds like he is trying to unload it! I wonder why???
Let him unload it on someone else!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Llook it over if its bet to hell walk a way look in the air box under the plastic just because it has big tires lift kit and has been in some mud does not mean it has been mudd its whole life or that it has been a beat

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Seals, bearings, bushings, steering components, electrical components, etc. Could be problems to deal with if it has been in a lot of mud.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's not that hard to see who rides on muddy trails and who has 6' tall snorkels and ride their quad like it was a freaking submarine. If they don't have snorkels look at their headlights, chances are that they have moisture and/or dirt inside and THOSE are the ones you shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yes if it has snorkel's I would not buy. Like I was saying earlier if you look up underneath the plastic panels that look at the wiring harness up at the front that's the one thing that you cannot clean and the mud will always stay one other place you can look that tells you how heavy of a mudder it was that's the muffler it will cook the mud on and you cannot get it off without taking it off and sandblasting hope all this information helps

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's not that hard to see who rides on muddy trails and who has 6' tall snorkels and ride their quad like it was a freaking submarine. If they don't have snorkels look at their headlights, chances are that they have moisture and/or dirt inside and THOSE are the ones you shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
While I agree with what you have to say for the most part. I have two XP's and from day one I have not been able to keep my lights clean. I have taken them out and silicone'd the edges where the clear meets the back plastic. I have also doubled up the rubber washer in the back where the bulb goes in. Somehow water still gets in. Not a lot but enough to make a few drops on the inside of the lenses. it will leave a hazy film eventually and I have to take them out and clean them but putting a paper towel inside with a flexible rod.

I have ridden in water but never over the tops of the wheels. You can create a bit of a bow wave that hits the lights. I just look at it as part of the price you pay to have lots of fun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He said a few local mud runs other than that trails. I think it's a LE model it has the painted plastic around the winch. Was there any other differences with le models. Winch front cargo anything else?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My LE came with painted springs, painted front "fangs", winch, front lock and ride box and a stitched seat.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
He said a few local mud runs other than that trails. I think it's a LE model it has the painted plastic around the winch. Was there any other differences with le models. Winch front cargo anything else?
I would walk away....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts