Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used 1999 Polaris sportsman 500 in May of 2019. Love the ATV and all it has to offer. One day while it was raining and we were trying not to get soaked we had to throttle it up more than I usually do when we did it started to die in the top in. This was the start of things going downhill. Couple days later I notice a leak in a tube running from oil Resavoir to I think the block... I take it in to a shop and the front lady tells me it’s a piece of junk and should buy a new one(after keeping it for a month)... guy repairing the ATV says if you like it and fulfills your need “I can fix it”. Place charged me $90 dollars for labor and put a new spark plug in it... it was starting and I drove it in to that shop before ... I got it back and it won’t start but does act like it wants to crank... so now I have this Atv sitting in my garage and I’m challenged with a) watching you tube videos and buying parts to fix it b) saleing it for $500 or c) saling it for parts which I learned is a pain. Any advice?

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
It either cranks or is doesn't - you can crank it with the electric starter or the recoil starter

It needs to checked by a good mechanic - if the engine cranks (turns over) then the first thing to do is check the compression - the engine is an overhead cam design - OHC engines tend to get tight valves, dropping the compression and makes them hard to start - your only problem might be a valve adjustment.

·
11,155 Posts
If you can read and understand what you've read, can turn a wrench and have a few hand tools, are not afraid to get your hands dirty and have the time and the inclination, and have a place to work, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get it in pretty good running shape with a little time, money and effort.
If you just want to go riding, sell it and get something newer and in better shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts