Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2010 sportsman 500HO, my dad purchased it brand new and had it until last month I bought it from him. Never any issues with it, currently has only 80 hrs on it. The past few days I have this problem that the machine will randomly stall and not start up again unless I shoot it with carb cleaner/starting fluid a few times, then once it starts up it runs just fine until the next time it will randomly sputter for a few seconds then stall again, usually happens once a day or so. Its not bad fuel because this is the third tank in a row it has happened on. Obviously some kind of fuel problem but where should i start?? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is the fuel tank vent line getting pinched shut?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It could also be the fuel pump!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the vent hose. thanks. And fuel pump? at 80 hrs??? is that likely?? any more suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes its possible for the fuel pump to go bad. I have a friend with a 2012 500HO that had to replace his!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! what a joke man!!! Just checked the vent hose and it seems fine. When the fuel pump is going bad is this typically how they act?? wouldnt the pump just quit all together??

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Nope. Fuel pumps don't always just quit altogether. The diaphragm can go bad and you lose pressure. The same can happen if it gets hot.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I remember reading a post not long after joining the forum & he had the the same problem your having. He put a new fuel pump on it & that solved the problem. My friends wheeler stalled a few times like yours then it would only idle, as soon as he touched the throttle it would die. We thought it was a carb problem & he took it in as it was still under warranty. Turned out it was the fuel pump. The fuel pump has a rubber diaphram in it & works off of vacume from the motor. You might want to take the pump apart & see what kind of shape the diaphram is in. Maybe even replace it using thin rubber from an inner tube or pool cover.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If that solves the stalling problem then you know its time for a new fuel pump. Not sure how long inner tube or pool cover would last over time in constant contact with gas that has ethonal in it!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts