Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forums, Polaris and ATVing in general. I have been looking for an inexpensive decent ATV to get my feet wet and see how much time I can actually give to the sport before going out an spending a ton of money.

I am set to check out a 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI with approx. 1800 miles on it this week. The seller is the original owner and claims it has been stored indoors and he has kept up with the maintenance nor has he done any mods. A strange claim he made is that he has to change the engine mounts every couple of years as the engine has too much power... This kinda throws a red flag, but I don't understand what would cause them to be changed so often with such little use.

So my question is what should I be looking for on this 4 wheeler? are there any known problem spots or dead give aways something is wrong? I appreciate any advice given.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
With factory mounts this is true. I've had the same problem. I picked up car transmission mounts at Napa(sorry can't remember the make and model, but I got the info off this site.). And since then I have not had to replace them. Also the clutch may need realined. This could cause it too.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With factory mounts this is true. I've had the same problem. I picked up car transmission mounts at Napa(sorry can't remember the make and model, but I got the info off this site.). And since then I have not had to replace them. Also the clutch may need realined. This could cause it too.

Thanks cdgoodling I will look into the mounts and clutch alignment.

I picked her up and so far so good, first ride went without a catch. She does need a couple wheel bearings and could use a new set of rims/tires, but that's a part of normal wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
800 is a great machine, nice score!!! You should really do all the maintenance as start out on a clean slate so to speak. Plugs+wires, air filter, flush the coolant, motor oil+filter, trans+diff fluids. As for the wheel bearings the key is to keep them greased even when they are brand new. So look into a wheel bearing greaser. There are a bunch of bearing options like Boss, All-Balls, EPI, QuadBoss, and OEM. Also chk the bushings and ball joints as they may be contributing to the slope in the wheels. A big wheel kit well that has been hashed out repeatedly on this site. But you can get a nice set up pretty resonably. Good luck with the new wheeler!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
The 800 is a nice machine. Good find. Just be sure not to jump on someone else's machine now that has power steering on it...:grin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys, I have ordered and received new bearings, all the fluids and filters and a couple of spark plugs ( I love when new parts come in!) hopefully get to doing the work this weekend.

Any recommendations on a bearing greaser for this quad? I was doing some reading and it seems the Havoc greaser is a great product, but my year isn't listed on their site. I have asked them just in case it will work.

As for power steering as you said, I don't know what I am missing so best not to tempt myself :).

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Machined Integrations and Two Guys Hobby are greasers go inside the bearing and feed grease through the races. But the bearing carrier needs to be pulled away from the axle.

Tiger Tool feeds grease through the seals and doesn't require the bearing carrier to be pulled away from the axle.

I have Two Guys Hobby and it works well but not having to pull the bearing carrier away from the axle is a nice asset. So for the next wheeler I'll prob purchase a Tiger Tool bearing greaser.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Machined integrations has an over the axle bearing greaser now, thats what I bought and used on mine a few months ago. Works great, I added about 20 pumps of grease to each bearing.

MI Greaser Closeup.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Machined integrations has an over the axle bearing greaser now, thats what I bought and used on mine a few months ago. Works great, I added about 20 pumps of grease to each bearing.

View attachment 111695

Wow that Machined Integrations site has some cool products! $155 for front and rear greaser tools and new bearings for front and rear! I'll have to keep them in mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled off my wheels and hubs this weekend and found one of the hubs collars had snapped off, no wonder she was a little noisy. The bearing was also blown apart as you might expect.

Attachments

·
8,879 Posts
Hmm...I've seen several broken hubs on the older RZR 800's but not the ATV's. PO must have been doing some jumping and rough terrain.
Having seen that, I'd probably use a bright light to inspect frame joints and a arm brackets for cracks while I was down into it. If you catch them BEFORE they break its a pretty simple fix.
I've got an 06 800 that I've put 17,000+ really rough miles on last few years. I bought new this year but kept the 800 as a backup or for friends and family. Don't hesitate to ask questions about anything you find. I've turned every bolt and screw on mine over the years.
I rode it several years claiming, "I don't need no stinking PS".
After I installed the Super ATV EZ Steer kit I couldn't believe I'd tortured myself needlessly all that time because I was too tight to shell out the $700.
Best money I ever spent on that machine other than tires and wheels!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pulled off my wheels and hubs this weekend and found one of the hubs collars had snapped off, no wonder she was a little noisy. The bearing was also blown apart as you might expect.
Yet another reason that bearing greasers are worthwhile, as they more or less force you to inspect parts while performing annual greasing. :grin

·
8,879 Posts
Yet another reason that bearing greasers are worthwhile, as they more or less force you to inspect parts while performing annual greasing. :grin
"annual greasing"??...If I only greased once a year there'd be no reason to bother. Everything would already be worn out by then.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"annual greasing"??...If I only greased once a year there'd be no reason to bother. Everything would already be worn out by then.
I concur 100% since I use mine at least 4-5 times a week on the farm and then pretty much every other weekend. Then again a lot of owners dont use/abuse their rides as much as others... :wink

·
8,879 Posts
Yeah, I grease on average every 3rd or 4th ride or once a month. During peak riding season that usually equates to around 250-300 miles. We run cross country so there's lots of creek crossings and mud holes that must be navigated. Too much grease won't hurt a thing but too little results in more repairs and down time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts