Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am ready to get my second Polaris sportsman. My first one was a 12' 550xps, sold it to fund some dirtbikes and now want to get back into 4x4 atv's again.
Im looking at the 570 as I don;t want to spend a ton of money.
Is the power steering a must have? My other 550 had PS and it was nice but I couldnt compare it to a non ps model. Any input or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
The overwhelming response is going to be yes to the eps. I don't have it and physically don't need it but due to the feedback from riders who do have it power steering is an extension of the riders physical abilities and bikes capabilities. Also eps will increase the resale value of ur purchase. I would put up the extra coin for it if I were in the market for a new bike.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ride a machine without it and see what you think. The only time I ever find it hard to turn without EPS is on pavement.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wish I had it, but couldn't justify the expense.
Ymmv, but if you do a lot of low speed tight turns, might be worth it.
Do u use it for pleasure or work? I think it would be more valuable for the latter.
But I'm in the opposite boat as you. I've never had a quad with eps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
EPS. I just test rode eps and non-eps back to back. It is worth it. EPS will be mainstream and almost standard in 5 years. The resale of any quad without it will suffer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My vote is for the EPS

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
There is not a single instance while riding that I can conceive that is better with no eps. I have had non eps quads and eps quads. I don't care if the cost difference was 2k...I would never ever buy another quad without it. Those that say they r physically strong and fit and don't need it....give me a break. I am 6ft, 250 and used to play some ball and still work out 4-5 days a week...of course I can handle a non eps quad just fine, but handling an eps quad is so much better in every instance (unless the eps breaks). Pretty soon all but the cheapest ute quads will have eps...much like the move from carbs to efi

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think EPS is better if you do long hours on the bike. It will reduce fatigue quite a bit and the bike will handle better. I use mine for mostly hunting and light rides here and there so the investment was not worth it for me and it's one more thing to break.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Good point...the more one rides, the more eps is worth.

But I will say a deer strapped to my front rack and I can easily steer through the woods...a deer strapped to the front rack of my buddy's grizzly 700 (which has fairly light non eps ) and he is wrestling with it and getting a workout:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good point...the more one rides, the more eps is worth.

But I will say a deer strapped to my front rack and I can easily steer through the woods...a deer strapped to the front rack of my buddy's grizzly 700 (which has fairly light non eps ) and he is wrestling with it and getting a workout:)
:). Good point, but after a good hunt, I typically don't mind the extra weight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I concur gtsum2, there are a ton of reasons to get it and only one reason not to, cost. I'm sure years ago, people said some of the same things about cars and power steering. Eventually, it will be standard equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to be in the non eps camp, then I bought one with eps... go eps if you can. the only thing I don't like is that its one more thing to break and if that worries you, non eps is still liveable, especially if you've never ridden one with eps

·
Registered
826 Posts
What's the price difference between one with or without power steering?

Take note that your power steering is non-serviceable. Therefore when something wears out or breaks the cost to replace it is $1,000.

·
Registered
964 Posts
EPS... all day and every day!! LOL!!

Went hunting in October with my "hunt" machine that is non-EPS and non-Polaris. We put a lot of miles. Rocky and rutted terrain. After the first day...my arms, hands, and shoulders were worn out. hahaha

YUP...I missed my XP's with the EPS!! LOL!!

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is less about how much effort it takes to turn the bar, and more about how it rides. Having EPS puts a mechanical buffer between the front wheels and your wrists.

When you are flying down a trail and one wheel hits a root or rock, it doesn't slam both wheels to the left or right, and drive the bar into your wrist.

Think of it as a shock absorber, for your steering. Helps keep the wheels straight and in the direction you want, and less painful.

A friend hit a root on my fiance's quad and it slammed the bar to one side hard enough that it actually broke her wrist and had to get a full cast on it from her hand to above her elbow a couple months ago...

I have torn up both wrists on my 570, pulled tendons and ligaments and have been in significant pain for several months. I will be adding a Power Steering module in a few months... It just makes sense...

·
Registered
140 Posts
ill tell you i dont have it and im thinking i might have to add it. my mother rides my quad sometimes and shes not weak but i think it would be easier for her, especially when im at school or work and she wants to plow with it. i think shes planing on taking it over anyways because when i brought it in for my 25 hour check she called and had hand and thumb warmers installed saying it was my christmas gift. i think shes planning on using it more than i am haha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts