Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. I have had a Sportsman in the past. I am currently looking to buy a used sportsman. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on a 2000 sportsman 500 with 2700 miles. Guy says no spark to spark plug. He says everything else works tires are new. Is there any known issues that can cause no spark? The guy is asking for 900 or best offer. It is a fairly long drive to his house so I was hoping maybe someone would have an idea as to what I may be getting into. I know it cannot be diagnosed on the forum but was hoping there is a common problem causing this issue with this year and model. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The ignitions on that year were recalled I believe, and the pre o5 ignitions are known to be a problem. That said it could be a simple cheap problem like the throttle cable out of adjustment, a kill switch or other safety switch causing the no spark situation. It could be a free fix, or it could be a $600 parts fix plus labor if you cannot do it yourself.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Like ridin again said, check throttle cable slack, kill switch ect then first place I would look is inside recoil cover at pickup coil and flywheel, coil should be .016 from magnet on flywheel, can also look at wires out of stator , flywheel key ect from there.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
^^ good stuff. kill switch above the throttle(scarred the shat out of me once), the electrodes should NOT be touching. and flywheel key could cause issues. have read about the key before.
I have a 99 sporty 500, when it wouldn't spark a few years back we tried a new ignition coil but it was the stator. Could have been only the pickup or something but we got a whole new one. If the speedometer and 4wd are still both fully functional that doesn't sound like a bad deal. having an old machine, i have done alot of maintenance on it myself to save money. Most of the maintenance was because there wasnt enough of it earlier in its life and the 4wd shorted out and would clunk into gear whenever it felt like it. this eventually damaged the front cv axles. other than that if it is taken care of and looks healthy, Love mine to death.

If i were you i would isolate the issue before i buy it. Either you or the owner should start by checking the resistance on the stator wires. they are located under the hood. resistance reading should be:
green to black/red-446 ohms
green to red-1.6 ohms
white to white/red-97
all readings are +-20%
if one is out of spec then this might be the problem. You can just buy a pickup coil if it is only the white-/white red out of spec. stator and pickup coil can be found online from Rickystator.

·
11,235 Posts
If it's in pretty fair shape otherwise, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I'm like Ridinagain, if it's near me and you don't want it I'd be interested.

·
Registered
505 Posts
o.p mist have bought it hasn't answered back yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts