Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I tried to run my quad a bit just to get the fluids moving but she's stone cold dead. I hear that if you store your quad or just don't run it for a while and you leave the engine cut off switch on it slowly drains, is this true? Also what would be the best battery for my 2012 sportsman 500ho as I have a 3500 pound superwinch and it kills my stock battery in 5 or so seconds (the battery light flashes) and this is while the quad's running. Do you recommend scorpion or Odyssey?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Id install a Yuasa YTX20HLBS. I just put one my sportsman and you will need to make some shorter battery cables and flip the battery the opposite way from stock but well worth it. I wouldnt use anything other than a Yuasa or DEKA.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had a YUASA AGM last 6 years.

I would say to look for a sealed battery (AGM). Don't know how much the brand matters. Many are happy with their Odysseys.

I get my batteries at O'Reillys....but have not had one for more than a couple years, so don't know how they will.last.

Sean

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Your battery is likely frozen as it has been ridiculously cold here. Whatever battery you get you need to get a battery tender on it to keep it charged and prevent it from freezing.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
there are some good places on line to get batteries....cheap also...I got a deka AGM for 71.00 to the door....but seen it cheaper by 5.00 after i got it..no big deal....BUT the most important item is a battery maintainer in the cold....but even so in any weather...you will get a longer life from the battery that way...battery mart was where I got mine...thier deka is called a super crank...with a 1 year warranty....but there is another place cheaper forgot the name....but mine was shipped fast..ordered Mon an got Wed....but the cold is a killer

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'd recommend a Gel or AGM battery. Both are sealed batteries. The Gel tend to last longer in rough conditions and it doesn't matter the orientation that the battery is in. what ever you get, make sure it's got the highest possible Amp Hours = cold cranking amps. I got my Gel Battery from RockyMountainATV.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts