Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an aftermarket fuel injector for a 2009 Polaris 550XP that anyone knows about? Would NAPA be able to cross something over? Polaris part number from what I researched is 3090138 but they want you to purchase an assembly for $150. I am looking for a more cost effective route. All information is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Why do you need an injector? They are usually good nearly for life unless you do something to damage one. The injectors in my Ford F150 have over 200K on then and they are fine, but I only use non ethanol fuel - my son's GMC diesel had to have the injectors replaced before he hit 300K, but he runs the shittiest bio-diesel he can find. I don't expect to get 300K out of the 4.6 gas engine, but at this point, I'm not looking for something else. I just use 91 octane alcohol free gas and change the oil every 3000 miles. If the engine, transmission, chassis or electrical system develops a major problem I'll get something different, but until then I just drive my POS beater and enjoy the cheap insurance and minimal repair costs.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
No, I do not know of any aftermarket replacements - they are $155 from Polaris, $155 on Amazon, $155 from Partzilla, $155 from Rocky Mountain ATV or $35 used from powersportsnation and Ebay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you need an injector? They are usually good nearly for life unless you do something to damage one. The injectors in my Ford F150 have over 200K on then and they are fine, but I only use non ethanol fuel - my son's GMC diesel had to have the injectors replaced before he hit 300K, but he runs the shittiest bio-diesel he can find. I don't expect to get 300K out of the 4.6 gas engine, but at this point, I'm not looking for something else. I just use 91 octane alcohol free gas and change the oil every 3000 miles. If the engine, transmission, chassis or electrical system develops a major problem I'll get something different, but until then I just drive my POS beater and enjoy the cheap insurance and minimal repair costs.
My Polaris won't start and after trouble shooting I am down to the injector. It has sat for 2 - 3 months with out starting it and just cranks. I am getting fuel to the injector from the fuel pump. Yes, fuel was old so I drained and replaced, but have only used non ethanol fuel and the fuel has been in there for several months. If a spray a small amount of starting fluid in air intake it starts so I know if is a fuel issue.

·
Registered
570 SP
22 Posts
are u sure the injector is getting the electrical signal to inject the fuel??????????????????????

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Better yet - what's the fuel pressure? Given the high incidence of fuel pump failure on ATV's, it's one of my first suspects - fuel injector failure is somewhat rare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better yet - what's the fuel pressure? Given the high incidence of fuel pump failure on ATV's, it's one of my first suspects - fuel injector failure is somewhat rare.
Pressure to the fuel pump is good as I have just replaced thinking that was my only issue. When you turned the key to on position I did not hear fuel pump working so I replaced it just 3 days ago. Now is working fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pressure to the fuel pump is good as I have just replaced thinking that was my only issue. When you turned the key to on position I did not hear fuel pump working so I replaced it just 3 days ago. Now is working fine.
However, bike still wont start.

·
Registered
570 SP
22 Posts
not sure on top of my head. i would check the crankshaft position sensor and the EFI rely

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not sure. How do you check the signal coming into the fuel injector? Can it be checked with a multimeter??

·
Premium Member
10,555 Posts
No a multimeter isn't the right tool. You need an actual injector tester that tests the electrical pulses.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
No, not sure. How do you check the signal coming into the fuel injector? Can it be checked with a multimeter??
No it is a micro second pulse of energy - need an oscilloscope to see the pulse and a computer connected to the ECU to change or reprogram it - you might be able to read the peak voltage of the pulse with a peak voltage meter, but it will only provide a value - whether the value is correct or the timing is right requires a computer with diagnostic software, but just buy some parts and put them on - you will eventually get the right one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts