Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone find it necessary to balance aftermarket atv rims. I bought a brand new set of HD rims and there is quite a bit if wobble in them at higher speeds. It would have to be sticky weights but feel like they would come off trail riding and in water.

·
Premium Member
7,416 Posts
What speeds are we talking here? Reason I say this is I find a bit of "wobble" at higher speeds 50+ when road riding. Thing is with the machine taking a beating out on the trail parts are going to develop some play. That play compounded between all the steering and suspension parts will create some looseness that can be felt at speed on pavement. I've learned to deal with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I always balance my tires. I get them to install the stick on weights on the backside of rim so they cant be seen. Makes a huge difference. My old yamaha 700 with itp radials wobbled at 50 mph after balance good at 65 mph with 1 hand on bars. Sure a lot easier in bushings and bearings in the front end as well

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guys ATV tires have speed rating on them too. Some tires don't like to run at fast speeds specially bias ply tires. I had a set of Swamplites that started to wobbled after 50.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
tire pressure could be having a part in that wobble too. the low PSI we typically ride these at allows for a lot of sidewall flex.

Most people don't bother balancing their ATV tires because they typically do not see speeds high enough for the balance to be playing a factor in the performance of the tire. As stated above, it's 99% of the time the tire that is out of balance, not the wheel. though a bent wheel will feel similar some times. And most people are only running their machines off road on rough surfaces where the terrain would negate being able to notice an out of balance wheel.

I can't see your location, but some people who use their ATV's for communting move to a car tire which provides better driving characteristics, and would be easier to balance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are my new set of wheels and tires. I have a really long driveway and ride down and get the mail sometimes or run the trash down to the end of the driveway. You feel the whole shimmy in the steering. But secondly It feels like it throws the steering off a bit too. However like others have said I don't think it's too big of a deal and noticeable on dirt or trails but pavement is where it's noticed due to the higher speeds

Attachments

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
tire pressure could be having a part in that wobble too. the low PSI we typically ride these at allows for a lot of sidewall flex.

Most people don't bother balancing their ATV tires because they typically do not see speeds high enough for the balance to be playing a factor in the performance of the tire. As stated above, it's 99% of the time the tire that is out of balance, not the wheel. though a bent wheel will feel similar some times. And most people are only running their machines off road on rough surfaces where the terrain would negate being able to notice an out of balance wheel.

I can't see your location, but some people who use their ATV's for communting move to a car tire which provides better driving characteristics, and would be easier to balance.
Running a 1000 I almost always go fast enough at some point each trip to feel the shake. Always ballance the tires.
My Honda 300 never needed this but I doubt it'd do 50.
My 1000 will do 50 with the front tires still in the air.

If you feel the shake ballance the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
These are my new set of wheels and tires. I have a really long driveway and ride down and get the mail sometimes or run the trash down to the end of the driveway. You feel the whole shimmy in the steering. But secondly It feels like it throws the steering off a bit too. However like others have said I don't think it's too big of a deal and noticeable on dirt or trails but pavement is where it's noticed due to the higher speeds
That sure looks like the Oct ATV of the month!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cuz it is lol. Never put aftermarket rims on an act before. So the shimmy and vibration is new to me. Vote for me too lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts