Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sportsman 500 an I just put new mega mayhame 12-9 in front an 12-11 in rear. Road around property little bit an I know I NEED to let some air out. They are rock solid at about 20-22 psi from the factory so climbing rocks n mud holes was like hitting a wall would just spin sometimes to catch traction. I guess my question is how low should I go or can go with tire pressure so I still have a nice ride but also don’t ruin or have the tire come of the rim. Any help or comment would b appreciated thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
wow 20 psi in an atv tire? Is that what the sidewall suggests? I'd cut that in half right away then probably down from there.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I think what you are referring to on the tire sidewall it says "do not inflate over 22 PSI to set the bead" Cold PSI should be around 7 PSI after installation.

·
8,952 Posts
Holy cow!! They may blow out and kill an innocent bystander lol!
Tire pressure is dependent on terrain conditions, tire construction and rider preferences but having them that full is probably downright dangerous. I run around 6-7 psi in my Pit Bulls for most conditions. I also check them before every ride because pressure changes as temperature changes and they will lose some over time. With low pressure tires 1 or 2 psi makes a BIG difference. Altitude changes can also have a huge effect on pressure readings too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will double check tommarow an let you know but I’m pretty sure I said the same thing when I put my tire guarg on it. Only thing I can think of is they did that to seat the tire on the rimI will let you know tomorrow what they’re actually app but yes definitely have to grab it at least half I would think usually ride trails soft mud nothing too too crazy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts