Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 sportsman 850 premium
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to carry one in my storage container on back of quad. I’ve had many over the years and they all seem to fail over time. I usually just pick up what’s on sale so that’s probably my fault. Looking for a better quality unit that can take some bumps in storage container and still work at the end of the day. I don’t really trust the rating system on stuff you get online.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this one. Just recently purchased and only used once. Comes with its own storage bag and fits nicely in the rear storage compartment of my 850

VIAIR 88P - 00088 Portable Compressor Kit with Alligator Clamps, Tire Inflator, Tire Air Pump, 12V, 120 PSI, for Up to 33 Inch Tires https://a.co/d/dTPRwqD

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a cheap autozone compressor, it barely fills a lawnmower tire.

I have a small viair I carry in the back of one car because it has no spare. It came with run flat tires and tire pressure sensors which work intermittently. I have used it a bit . Good quality.

I have a larger Viair 400 in my truck, with a tire plug kit. Because if I pick up a nail or other FOD I can plug it and inflate faster that I could drop the spare and change. I haven’t used it yet, but will.

That all being said, I was fifty miles from home with a flat, and called a wrecker. He fixed it and inflated it with the same $100 Pittsburgh pump named above. He says he uses it every day with no problems.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I bought a slime one in 2015. It's lasted a couple thousand miles in my 570. It's now in my 1K still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
I got a Slime compressor free about 10 years ago - it hasn't failed me yet, but it takes 20 minutes to put about 10 psi in my truck tires. I found this out last year when I loaded up and noticed a low tire (it has a slow leak that I haven't repaired yet) - tire was down to about 22psi and I connected the compressor to the tire while I finished loading. It ran all the time I was loading and never over inflated the tire. I prefer a CO2 cartridge inflating device. It's rather rare to get an empty CO2 cartridge, requires no energy, take's up less space and CO2 cartridges can be purchased at any sporting goods retailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a Slime compressor free about 10 years ago - it hasn't failed me yet, but it takes 20 minutes to put about 10 psi in my truck tires. I found this out last year when I loaded up and noticed a low tire (it has a slow leak that I haven't repaired yet) - tire was down to about 22psi and I connected the compressor to the tire while I finished loading. It ran all the time I was loading and never over inflated the tire. I prefer a CO2 cartridge inflating device. It's rather rare to get an empty CO2 cartridge, requires no energy, take's up less space and CO2 cartridges can be purchased at any sporting goods retailer.
Almost same happened with me yesterday

·
Registered
599 Posts
I keep a small slime compressor and some CO2 cartridges with me...Haven't opened the slime one, but it's the one in a padded case and it was sold to me at a powersports dealer to keep on the machine.

I have had to add plugs to my tires on the trail..Nothing to it...I have the Tusk(sp?) kit.

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportsman 850 Premium
191 Posts
I usually carry my Milwaukee M12 inflator in my rear storage on my 850. I keep it wrapped in a towel so it's not banging around in there. I do the same with the battery, but keep it in the front storage where it doesn't get as hot.

I'd almost prefer to go the CO2 route just to keep it simple and save space.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Now is the time for me to ask, what is the SOP for fixing flats on these from small sharp things?
just plug it like a car?
Plugs work well. I carry those, but I also carry a bead breaker, patch kit, and inner tubes. Tires play a huge role, having quality meats with high puncture resistance goes a long way as well...I'm running the Kenda Bear Claw HTRs and they are 8 ply....WAY tougher than the factory tires ever thought of being....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another vote for Viair. Got a pair of 400C's in the bed of my Silverado for the past 8 years of MA road salt. Granted, they're under a roll-up tonneau cover assembly, but that's pretty good considering the 110°F temperature swings they see annually, with very high humidity levels.

I have an old off-roading compressor that I repaired a reed valve in. My brother was going to throw it away! He paid over $100 for it many moons ago - probably '04 or so. Thing is great! Durable as hell. Couldn't tell you what brand it is. I'll have to look ...

Automotive tire Pipeline transport Bumper Tread Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

EDIT: Took some pics of that portable compressor I mentioned earlier. Looks like it's a Master Flow Tsunami, lol. Heck of a name! Logo cracks me up, too. No clue if these guys are still in business or not. Reed valve in the head failed years ago, rendering it useless. Been so long now I can't recall how I repaired it, but it's been working great for several years now. I throw this in the trunk of the '93 940 or '86 Grand Marquis whenever we go on road trips with either of those.

I just remembered why it looks so beat up - it was in the aftermarket rear box on my 800 for over 10 years, getting pounded to death over rocks and roots!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Motor vehicle Font Red Material property Technology

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had I known that I might have done the same….I used to carry a 10lb Co2 tank when wheeling with my jeep. Get it refilled at my local fire extinguisher shop. Output was a constant 150psi until empty. Would air up my 35’s when needed from 5psi and even reset a bead once in a while.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Had I known that I might have done the same….I used to carry a 10lb Co2 tank when wheeling with my jeep. Get it refilled at my local fire extinguisher shop. Output was a constant 150psi until empty. Would air up my 35’s when needed from 5psi and even reset a bead once in a while.

They took that to another level....I also carry a 20lb co2 tank in my race trailer to fill the small bottle on my car..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts