Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinds of air filters and oil filters are you guys using? Where are you getting them from. Also on a different aftermarket air filter do you need the wrap to cover the air filter?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
What kinds of air filters and oil filters are you guys using? Where are you getting them from. Also on a different aftermarket air filter do you need the wrap to cover the air filter?
Oil filters at wal mart Purolator L14610 or L14612, or Bosch 6323. Dunno about air filter yet, haven't needed one yet, but I'd say a pre-filter is good insurance on any of them no matter the brand

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do any of you guys run K & N? I have been looking into those. I know they are a good brand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks.. Im thinking about getting the napa gold oil filter and maybe a K & N air filter but i dont need a air filter quite yet.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ok Thanks.. Im thinking about getting the napa gold oil filter and maybe a K & N air filter but i dont need a air filter quite yet.
Great choices! Napa gold are wix filters and you can't do much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do any of you guys run K & N? I have been looking into those. I know they are a good brand.
I have raced in very dusty conditions. Came from mx to xc years back. Had a k&n in the quad, oiled correctly. I fully service quads between races.
I switched to dual foam filters because the intake would have a fine coating of dirt/dust on it, past the filter. Properly oiled foam, never has in my quads.
K&N makes great products, just wouldn't suggest it for high dust, or a lot of water riding.
Just my 3 cents on the air filter.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I to run the Purolator L41610 (3.5" Long) oil filter on both of our Sportsman's.... as for air filter, I've only used OEM from the dealer.

But I do run K&N's in both of the daily drivers!! Love me the K&N filters.... just haven't sprung for them for the quads yet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Purolator oil filter, K&N air on the 400, oem air on the 325

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bring my oil filter wrench into the auto part store and tell them to get me one that fits. I run a K&N filter and a stock one on my 550. Zero difference in performance. The K&N does use a prefilter. If I did live in and ride in a super dusty area I probably would not use a K&N. I do run them in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bring my oil filter wrench into the auto part store and tell them to get me one that fits.
LOL
I run a K&N filter and a stock one on my 550. Zero difference in performance...
Yeah I fear it's a lot of hoopla about very little

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you run K&N oil it correctly and use a prefilter and I don't think you will have issues. I have run it in my 800 with no issues and ran it on my 2008 Honda TRX450r with no airbox lid and had no issues. Don't think they add any real performance gains it just gives you the option of reusing filter. I also have a Uni foam filter which for half the price I would highly recommend it. I still have to find a good oil for it that I can get all cleaned off fairly easily. So far gasoline seems to be the only thing to get them totally clean.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
When I bought my Sporty it had a K&N in it...took it off to clean it..I seen fine dust( like talc powder) in the intake area...I went an ordered a UNI...I have a Uni on my Suzuki LT2504x4 always clean in there except when a mouse made a house..lol...had to get another.....Now for cleaning the foam I use Dawn power disolver..spray in on let it sit a bit then wash it..comes out clean....to oil it I use spray foam filter oil...i thinks its either Bel Ray or PJ1..works good..spray it on rub it in an do once again..with out rubbing it in....so far its been working good for me...I run a Uni in my truck also...airbox is always clean..that fine salt dust from road salt is a killer...

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's plenty dusty riding here in the desert, I've never found any sign of dust making it past the K&N on my '05, or past the oem on my '02. So either way, I'd say your safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts