Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20210220_164148.jpg
Is there something anyone use has a pre-filter my go to mod is to use coffee filters I been doing this for years in lawnmower and been doing some testing with my Sportsman XP 1000 I find that it works great. I have been on the 3 rides so with great results and no lost in power that I can feel and will continue to use it. I use 7 coffee filters just wrap around the main filter then put plastic pre-filter over it's a little bit tricky but I can do it just fine and coffee filters stop almost all the so the main filter will last a long time but the only downside is I think it's best to replace them every ride has in picture you can see how much dirt it stopped in one day of riding.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
That's just wonderful!

I'll save the cost of coffee filters and the time wasted putting them on and replace the air filter once or twice a year as necessary. The cost is probably approximately the same, but the savings in time is phenominal. I just keep a spare filter with pre-filter in a plastic bag and install when needed. The pre-filter is easily cleaned with soap and water and will last many years (with care). The air filter catches what the coffee filters are catching, but the air filter has a larger surface area and does not have to be replaced after every ride.

But if it makes you feel like your are doing something constructive, then continue to do so. I'm just not going to waste my time doing it when that time can be applied to something more important.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
This is hilarious!!! Keep using the coffee filters 🤪🤤🙄:ROFLMAO: !!!! Do yourself a favor and have an oil analysis done as well, to make sure you aren't washing down your cylinders :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,167 Posts
Sorry flyboy, I gotta agree with Latebird. Seems like a lot of effort for no gain. If you’re concerned with changing the paper filters, just get a UNI or K&N.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry flyboy, I gotta agree with Latebird. Seems like a lot of effort for no gain. If you’re concerned with changing the paper filters, just get a UNI or K&N.
I have a UNI for the Sportsman and one on my but it's messy pain to clean a oily filler and much more if do it every ride.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
991 Posts
Here is a good quality washable filter, maybe this would be a better idea.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's just wonderful!

I'll save the cost of coffee filters and the time wasted putting them on and replace the air filter once or twice a year as necessary. The cost is probably approximately the same, but the savings in time is phenominal. I just keep a spare filter with pre-filter in a plastic bag and install when needed. The pre-filter is easily cleaned with soap and water and will last many years (with care). The air filter catches what the coffee filters are catching, but the air filter has a larger surface area and does not have to be replaced after every ride.

But if it makes you feel like your are doing something constructive, then continue to do so. I'm just not going to waste my time doing it when that time can be applied to something more important.
This quick, simple and cheap a pack of 700 filter is $10 and I use 7 at a time so 100 rides or like 4500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,467 Posts
Kinda like recycling a condom, turn it inside out and shake the Fun out of it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a good quality washable filter, maybe this would be a better idea.
View attachment 148159
I like that air filter but I don't think it fits the Sportsman XP 1000. Just let everyone know you are not going to change my mind about this because I been using it for years in the lawnm care and I love it and on my zero turn has saved me hundreds and don't have a problem with air filter until I start riding with SXS and man they kick up some dust.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,467 Posts
Just a joke....

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
K&N? Only if you like to spend money. K&N's are hard to maintain, have to be washed, dried, oiled frequently and allow dirt through that foam and paper filters trap.

I have two Uni's (cheaper than 1 K&N and you need 2 K&N's) one in and one ready to go in. And while they don't need changed every ride, there are occasions where dusty conditions require me to change in the middle of a ride.

I would not use K&N even if K&N offered to buy me a new vehicle every time the filter needed serviced. K&N is to air filters what Fram is to oil filters.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
573 Posts
K&N? Only if you like to spend money. K&N's are hard to maintain, have to be washed, dried, oiled frequently and allow dirt through that foam and paper filters trap.

I have two Uni's (cheaper than 1 K&N and you need 2 K&N's) one in and one ready to go in. And while they don't need changed every ride, there are occasions where dusty conditions require me to change in the middle of a ride.

I would not use K&N even if K&N offered to buy me a new vehicle every time the filter needed serviced. K&N is to air filters what Fram is to oil filters.
Agree! Honestly I’d rather take my chances with coffee filters than k&n! I see the Op’s point though. It’s just a pre filter . If he was trying to use them as a filter then yeah I’d say he’s crazy. Although outerwear’s are reasonably price now.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I like that air filter but I don't think it fits the Sportsman XP 1000. Just let everyone know you are not going to change my mind about this because I been using it for years in the lawnm care and I love it and on my zero turn has saved me hundreds and don't have a problem with air filter until I start riding with SXS and man they kick up some dust.
That air filter absolutely does fit a 1000. But it doesn’t Percolate!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes you are right, I wouldn't use a kn on my Sportsman.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Agreed I want to say all of the air filters for the newer machines are all the same. 400 500 570 800 550 850 and 1000 Scrambler and Sportsman all the same to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Agreed I want to say all of the air filters for the newer machines are all the same. 400 500 570 800 550 850 and 1000 Scrambler and Sportsman all the same to my knowledge.
Right! Further confirmation that R2C fit 1000’s. In a pinch a coffee filter would be better than nothing I suppose. Even better TN one that would brew while you rode!

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,167 Posts

Good to know latebird. Personally I use standard paper filters and change them out as required. I don’t put on enough miles or drive in dusty enough conditions to warrant replacing the filter every ride or during the ride.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agree! Honestly I’d rather take my chances with coffee filters than k&n! I see the Op’s point though. It’s just a pre filter . If he was trying to use them as a filter then yeah I’d say he’s crazy. Although outerwear’s are reasonably price now.
Yes I'm using a new coffee filter only has a pre-filter and maybe I should have said new for the start . And is cost nothing like .10 at a time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts