Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new air filter on my 01 sportsman 400, it has the stock one eight now but I'm thinking of trying out the Uni, will I notice an increase in power just from an air filter?

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
No, you will not notice any increase in power from an air filter.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
I do oem filter and pre-filter and just change them when needed or when I do the oil change which is every 50 hours.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
So is the extra cost of the Uni worth it? Or should I just go with oem

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
It really depends on the type of riding you do. The stock filter works just fine for most people. If you start getting into engine mods and tuning, you may benefit from a more free-flowing filter like K&N. Or if you ride mud/water, you will not want the stock paper filter. They are ruined if you get them wet, where as a Uni or K&N can be dried out and re-used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would recommend staying away from the k&n filter. Dealers will tell you they are the worst filter for an atv. They allow too much smaller particals of dust into the engine which ends up doing alot of damage to it and cuts the life of the engine way down. Best one that i have found/read about is the uni or sticking with the stock

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would recommend staying away from the k&n filter. Dealers will tell you they are the worst filter for an atv. They allow too much smaller particals of dust into the engine which ends up doing alot of damage to it and cuts the life of the engine way down. Best one that i have found/read about is the uni or sticking with the stock

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I have run K&N on all my vehicles and my ATV's. Never seen any of these issues. I think if someone does have an issue its due to improper maintenance.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have also never met a dealer that knows what the heck they are talking about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've also heard bad things about K&N.. Just about letting smaller particles through. iI it's open enough to let more air through, it'll let more fine dirt in as well.

It's all over the grizzly forums and the Brute Force forums as well. They all say to use a TwinAir or a Uni, or my favorite... The NoToil foam filter. The easiest cleaning filter I've ever used. Harmless cleaning in the kitchen sink. Special soap and warm water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have use k&n in everything I own. Not one problem ever. However, if I lived in the desert I most likely would run something else.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i run a Uni in my 500....i clean and oil when I see it dirty..maybe twice a year..depends on where i ride...I use a spray on foam filter oil..spray on an rub in....to clean it i just use dawn dish washing soap....so easy to clean....

·
Registered
679 Posts
I do a visual inspection. Generally once a year I clean my filters. I might only have 3 months semi dusty riding conditions. The rest of the year not so much. And during the those dusty months I try to ride in front of the pack!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Got to love the K&N haters. Simple physics people. More surface area allows more air to go through. This does not equate to letting more dirt through. Use what you want, its your quad.

I have Uni's on my quads so they can be dried out and washed if needed. I have K&N in all my other vehicles. I tipped my XP850 and got some oil in the airbox. I wrung out the oil filter and was able to drive home with some sort of filtering available. If it was a paper filter it would have been useless. I washed out the UNI and reoiled and all was good again.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
I have read bad things on multiple sites as well about k&n. its real simple to test if its working or not, run a bead of petroleum jelly in the intake tube and it fine particles pass the filter some will accumulate on the Vaseline.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been using a K&N in every vehicle I have owned for 35 years from cars to trucks,street bikes and atv's and never had any problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts