Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a licensed tech and was thinking of installing a PCV, but since my quad was running so well I figured I would make a cheap air fuel gauge before spending almost $400 on a tuner. As it turns out on a 2010 xp 850 Canadian model, even with a custom slip on muffler (arrow) and k&n filter the quad still runs a touch rich. When tuning for power your looking for 13.2/1 air fuel mixture, well at full throttle I'm running at 12.9/1. Idle it runs at 12/1 and just off idle to almost full it runs between 12.5-12.9/1. Needless to say I wasn't going to lean it out a bit because when you are running it hard rich is better then lean. I've attached a pic of my mounted gauge which doubles as a voltage gauge. Cost on eBay for the gauge was $20 and I got a new o2 sensor from a 2013 Honda that has a built in heater for fast/accurate readings. PS the gauge works very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Cool! I run stock on the engine but I always like to see all stats.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
FYI: Video says it is private when I try to play it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yep!!!! Sure does.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Private video. Can't watch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys I realized that the video I posted on YouTube was set to private. I reloaded it on YouTube.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It would be nice to know how much the slip on and filter leaned it out for us stock guys. I think mine is running rich as he'll.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm a licensed tech and was thinking of installing a PCV, but since my quad was running so well I figured I would make a cheap air fuel gauge before spending almost $400 on a tuner. As it turns out on a 2010 xp 850 Canadian model, even with a custom slip on muffler (arrow) and k&n filter the quad still runs a touch rich. When tuning for power your looking for 13.2/1 air fuel mixture, well at full throttle I'm running at 12.9/1. Idle it runs at 12/1 and just off idle to almost full it runs between 12.5-12.9/1. Needless to say I wasn't going to lean it out a bit because when you are running it hard rich is better then lean. I've attached a pic of my mounted gauge which doubles as a voltage gauge. Cost on eBay for the gauge was $20 and I got a new o2 sensor from a 2013 Honda that has a built in heater for fast/accurate readings. PS the gauge works very well.

How come your quad idles at 1190 rpm? Noticed it during the vid mine idles at 1240 rpm .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice 850 btw im jealious!

·
Registered
314 Posts

How come your quad idles at 1190 rpm? Noticed it during the vid mine idles at 1240 rpm .
Mine is the same as yours, and his sounds like it is surging

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mine is the same as yours, and his sounds like it is surging

What year are your guys xp? Mine is a 2010 non EPs non HO. I didn't notice an idle change after the exhaust and intake. Its not really surging the xps even thou they are an inline twin like there older brothers sportsman 700 & 800, the xps crankshaft and firing order is setup as a vtwin. This is why with a little clutch work you unleash some great torque. Even in high range at a stop not leaning back it will lift the front wheels like nothing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Not really sure, but I know between 2010 and yours 2013 there are some motor changes. Yours stock produces more horse power then mine, your throttle body's and injectors are different. So I would imagine your air/fuel could be a lot different then mine. Who knows yours could be a lot leaner to help with increased fuel economy? I did some research and couldn't find any xps with the same air/fuel gauge setup as mine. But if people have been using power commander 5 with auto tune they would know the stock air/fuel before tuning was made.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The HO models that started in 2012 seem to be more affected by running rich then us with '11 and older bikes. For mine, I install IR NGKs, a UNI filter, and header-wrapped the exhaust and the plug is always nice and clean after each rider when I check it - a little too clean for my taste actually but she seems to love the setup. Mine idles at 1190 spot on with the above mods, and when cold it does have a "surging" note in the exhaust but once the fan kicks on once, I'll give her a good jab of the throttle for a few seconds and when she comes back to idle, purrs smoothly like a kitten. Since ours runs rich at start up just like the '12s+, carbon builds up on the plug, and I attribute the "surging" to both of those, as it goes away once it is fully warmed up and the plug is hot enough to auto-clean.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
a 50RPM difference in idle is about a 1/32 turn of a screw. That's why they give a set idle with a +/- spec. It si well known the fuel injected Polaris ATVs run rich. Nice to see someone found a cheap way to prove it for everyone. Still waiting on Dobeck to finish up the 850 AFR+ units and release them. They are going to be a big hit. Autotune programmer, a/f gauge, and wide band Bosch O2 sensor all included as a kit for $325-350 shipped. They have them out for all the Ranger and RZR models already. And being an autotune they should plug and play on the sportsmans too. But the wiring may be a bit long or short till they actually get them designated, and they are not wanting anyone to start marketing them to the ATV guys till they have a 100% proven fuel solution. Hopefully it happens soon! Have quite a few inquiries on the 850 in the last few months.

·
Registered
155 Posts
a 50RPM difference in idle is about a 1/32 turn of a screw. That's why they give a set idle with a +/- spec. It si well known the fuel injected Polaris ATVs run rich. Nice to see someone found a cheap way to prove it for everyone. Still waiting on Dobeck to finish up the 850 AFR+ units and release them. They are going to be a big hit. Autotune programmer, a/f gauge, and wide band Bosch O2 sensor all included as a kit for $325-350 shipped. They have them out for all the Ranger and RZR models already. And being an autotune they should plug and play on the sportsmans too. But the wiring may be a bit long or short till they actually get them designated, and they are not wanting anyone to start marketing them to the ATV guys till they have a 100% proven fuel solution. Hopefully it happens soon! Have quite a few inquiries on the 850 in the last few months.

Can you access data via a laptop like with PC?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts