Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all the posts around the net about people that have way too much trailer for their trucks. I know how miserable it is to drive a rig that makes you nervous every time a truck passes or you need to go up/down a hill.

I am looking for an all season unit that will be very comfortable to pull with my 2016 RAM 1500 with Laramie package, 5.7 hemi and 3.92 rear end. It has the trailer tow package from the factory. Seems to me I am looking for something in the 5-6k empty range to put me at max of 8000 loaded. Need to be 1000 or less on the tongue.

My toy is a 950lb wet XP1000 touring. I live in the north, if I could get a 4 season package on it that would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

Not really worried about the age if it is in good condition.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
I've been looking at you haulers for a while. Unfortunately haven't pulled the trigger. Just can't quite justify it yet as the wife's heart isn't quite there. But I have settled on a unit, lol. The ATC line of toy haulers is were I would make my purchase.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just a FYI-With a 1/2 ton Ram you will need some air assist for the rear springs. I had to add them for my hybrid snowmobile trailer. I have the timbergrove ones.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been spending a lot of time working on this and the sad news is the sticker on my door limits payload to 1240 lbs. Payload is passengers, everything in the bed or the back seat, the topper I added last year AND the tongue weight. The truck can pull 10,000 lbs but the hitch can only support a few hundred with 2 people, luggage and tools in the truck.

Pretty disappointing.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
I know that's the limiting factor with 1/2 tons, tongue weight. Have to be strategic when loading. Also have to load the trailer and not so much the truck. But there are a fair amount of 1/2 ton towable toy haulers out there. Have you looked at the ATC??

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, ATC is not even close to being the lightest units out there (but it appears they may be some of the best built). Lots of people overloading their trucks and lots of accidents as a result. I'm old enough now that I don't enjoy white knuckle driving anymore.

I was talking to my dad tonight and he said the current half tons really are "half tons"...ie 1000 lb of payload...period. Essentially big passenger cars he said...and he is right. I should have bought the 2500 and put up with the slightly rougher ride.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
I agree about ATC and loading and towing a trailer. My rule is to keep the weight at 75%-80% of the maximum. I read how guys say they/you can push beging manufacturers specs, not me though. Not taking that chance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, ATC is not even close to being the lightest units out there (but it appears they may be some of the best built). Lots of people overloading their trucks and lots of accidents as a result. I'm old enough now that I don't enjoy white knuckle driving anymore.

I was talking to my dad tonight and he said the current half tons really are "half tons"...ie 1000 lb of payload...period. Essentially big passenger cars he said...and he is right. I should have bought the 2500 and put up with the slightly rougher ride.
Big difference in ride and fuel economy. The 3/4 ton gas doesn't get the cylinder deactivation feature and rides like a cement truck when unloaded.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Not the GMC I own!!! Rides like a Cadillac!!! My straight axel Grand Cherokee and Cummins 3500 now they ride like trucks!!!. But honestly my GMC 2500HD rides smoother the our 2 Buicks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idea came to me...put everything in the trailer and just 2 people in the truck. With topper that still gives us 600 lb for the hitch. Any super light options out there please throw them out.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Idea came to me...put everything in the trailer and just 2 people in the truck. With topper that still gives us 600 lb for the hitch. Any super light options out there please throw them out.

LOL did you read my post #5?? sentences #2+3??? 😁

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Some states allow you to pull 2 trailers......... hook them together!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
^ Doubtful OP's truck has the payload to handle even the lowest pin weight from a 5th wheel which would make double towing that much more unsafe. I would never consider double towing with the first trailer being a "bumper" pull. Many, many states do not allow that config anyway.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have been up day and night researching this and the conclusion I have come to from thousands of posts is the toy hauler NOT built with thumbtacks and glue is ATC and all of their trailers (even the smallest one) exceeds my 1/2 ton capacity. Were I to move ahead with this I would like to be on the bottom end of the truck capacity rather than the top edge.

I'll stick with my 1/2 ton pulling a 1600lb enclosed 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer and staying at VRBO cabins for our trips and avoid all the maintenance, insurance, fuel and headaches of RV ownership.

Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
I get it!!!! Hell we traded the 09' Suburban in on the 12' 2500HD for the same reasons you are having. Well 8yrs later we still haven't bought a TH. Its a large investment for idk how much return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Then there is the other side of it where I absolutely enjoy the hell out of my travel trailer. I don't have a toy hauler, I load my ATV on my truck, 1-ton though, and pull our TT out to boondocking areas for a week and go ride. If you enjoy tinkering on stuff like your ATV, campers can be a lot of fun to mod as well. I'd even say more fun to mod. But everyone has their likes and dislikes, I get that.

But there are many who don't use their campers and they just sit. That's my feelings on boats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big difference in ride and fuel economy. The 3/4 ton gas doesn't get the cylinder deactivation feature and rides like a cement truck when unloaded.
3/4 ton gas still has cylinder deactivation... that’s what I run and average 15 mpg without a trailer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reality is we would only be able to go a couple times a year because of work. When you cost average that against 10s of thousands of $ it doesn't work out.

I just booked a week in the black hills and another week out in MT at a VRBO for less than $1k for both. We will bring our own food from home so no extra cost and my company pays the fuel. The $1k for the VRBOs is less than the insurance, daily camper fees (now $40-$50 per night) and winterization on a TT to say nothing of the cost of the unit and the extra fuel it burns to pull it, propane and all the rest PLUS the headache of being in a campground with screaming kids everywhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts