Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if there is a way to trick the computer to make the polaris all time AWD when you put the switch into the AWD. My quad doesn't engage when the back tires are spinning. It really sucks when I'm plowing snow and back end starts sliding out lol.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
AWD should engage as soon as the rears slip 1/5 of a rotation when in AWD. If that's not the case then you have issues.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with whoppinpeelies. If the rear tires are sliding around with AWD engaged on the handle bars then your AWD is not working. Time to take a trip to the dealer.

When you put it in AWD does the AWD symbol appear on the left side of the screen? If not, it could be a loose or broken wire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the symbol appears. The AWD engages if I get on it from the takeoff but not if I slowly accelerate.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like it may be sticking. Time for a fluid change?

·
11,162 Posts
Hi guys, I was wondering if there is a way to trick the computer to make the polaris all time AWD when you put the switch into the AWD. My quad doesn't engage when the back tires are spinning. It really sucks when I'm plowing snow and back end starts sliding out lol.
You might trick the computer into something but it has nothing to do with whether the AWD works or not...its mechanical.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the 4WD DOES engage, just not all the time. If I'm slowly accelerating and the rear tires start to spin and I punch it the 4WD doesn't engage, but if I stop and then punch it the 4WD does engage.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yea I was thinking about that but will that help when it's sticking in 2wd?
So even when NOT in AWD the fronts try and work? Like it never comes out of AWD? Then I would say for sure you need to do a fluid change. How many hours on it? If your model has a front dif it should be changed at a MAX of 50 hrs. If it it used a lot , more often.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I bought the bike used so I don't know if it's been changed or not, but I think it's safe to say with 200+ hours on the bike it's time for a fluid change. The 4wd doesn't engage while in 2wd.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would start with a fluid change then. Its cheap and fairly simple fix. Good place to start. What you are experiencing is not normal AWD behavior.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^Agreed. Start with the fluid. The fluid MUST be clean for the system to operate correctly

·
Registered
900 Posts
Your front should engage easier and quicker than that.....start with fluid change.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
any time you buy used..first thing is a Complete fluid change....never rely on owner doing it...if the front diff fluid comes out dirty fill run a bit an drain again to make sure any contaniments or out...get all fluids an some beer an make it a day....dont forget to grease also....
I change fluids in fall for winter plowing..then come spring i change again....

·
Registered
553 Posts
They will not engage if the rear wheels are already spinning when you put the switch into AWD. That is a great way to brake something trying to engage the front when the rear wheels are already spinning, I don't care what brand it is.

·
Registered
377 Posts
They will not engage if the rear wheels are already spinning when you put the switch into AWD. That is a great way to brake something trying to engage the front when the rear wheels are already spinning, I don't care what brand it is.
+1

Every rig I've ridden, if I tried to engage the 4WD when I was already slipping, it didn't want to go into 4WD. With the Kawasaki ATVs, I had to be able to roll the front wheels a bit, even. The Grizzly and the RZR are much better about that, I just have to stop all of the wheels and then hit the switch.

So if you're able to stop the rears, put it in 4WD, then start up again and get the fronts pulling, then it's good.

There's usually no clutch for the front diff to engage the driveline, so you wouldn't want it to engage while you're spinning. grind grind grind!

·
11,162 Posts
You put it in AWD and LEAVE it that way. That's how Polaris is supposed to be run. X2 on a complete fluid change anytime you buy a used machine. You have no idea what a PO did or did not do before you got it no matter what they may say. If that machine has 200+ hrs. it may need changed once a week till it starts coming out clean.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
another thing..when your going to be plowing...before you begin you should have it in AWD...since you know your back wheels will break loose on the snow pushing a blade of snow...any time you think you will lose traction riding you should have in AWD before you attempt the situation..its not on demand AWD...

But change that fluid...it may take a few times before it comes out clean...

on my machine ..to fill it..i got a graduated squeeze bottle..looks like the ketchup bottles in a restaraunt but clear..had measure marks on it...makes it easy to get in and fill....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts