Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you keep your Sportsman in AWD all of the time? I was thinking of doing this to keep the tire wear more even, but would this be hard on the drive system?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your back tires will wear of sooner than front, because of the rear axel lock. Regardles if your on awd or 2wd.
Please forgive my english. Kimi Räikkönen was my teacher ;-)

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I keep mine in 2WD all of the time until I need it. Just a personal choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep mine in 2WD all of the time until I need it. Just a personal choice.
Same here. I keep it in two wheel drive most of the time. I like the challenge and like flicking it around corners.

·
11,162 Posts
I run with AWD on most of the time when on the trail. It'll make no difference in tire wear anyway unless you spin a lot in 2WD.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Since the Polaris awd doesn't engage until you spin the rear tires, I don't see any benefit to equal tire wear. The rears are going to wear the most unless your toe is way out. Also since the awd isn't engaged all the time even when switched on I don't forsee any unusual wear problems of the mechanics of the machine

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
Rears are gonna wear out quicker irregardless so run the bike how you like whether AWD all the time or when you feel you need it. I run 2WD until I need all fours and then I throw the switch. I like running 2-wheel for the most part it gives me more maneuverability on tighter twistier trails, I like kicking the rear out in turns, and I have convinced myself that I'm conserving fuel by running in two wheel drive :Eyecrazy:.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Agree with the rear tires will wear faster because they are the drive wheels, also the rear wheels are locked together all the time even in the turns.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Doesn't hurt a thing to leave it in AWD all the time. As the others have said, it won't have any effect on tire wear one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i would really like some clarity on the AWD vs 4x4 thing. when i switch into 4x4, it is hard for me to steer unless the surface i'm riding on is really loose. it is impossible to steer at all when riding on pavement with the switch in the 4x4 position. i was under the assumption that the 4x4 shouldn't engage unless there is a variation between the front and rear wheel spin?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Awd alot, yes I do go 2wd if I'm sure there is no need for a possible awd area I mean I do like to throw 60ft high mud roost. But I'd Sai 90-95% I'm awd

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i would really like some clarity on the AWD vs 4x4 thing. when i switch into 4x4, it is hard for me to steer unless the surface i'm riding on is really loose. it is impossible to steer at all when riding on pavement with the switch in the 4x4 position. i was under the assumption that the 4x4 shouldn't engage unless there is a variation between the front and rear wheel spin?
The AWD of a Polaris when switched on will only engage if the rear tires break loose and spin 20% of their circumference. On pavement riding normally with AWD switch on the machine should steer normally because you aren't in AWD unless you spin the rear tires. If yours is steering hard with AWD switch on and you aren't spinning the rears something is wrong because it shouldn't be in AWD. This is for the regular AWD system. On the new close ratio AWD machines the rears only have to spin a fraction of the older design before AWD is in

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
90% of the time I run in awd. One thing I did notice was the front diff fluid was extremely dirty compared to the rear diff fluid when I changed everything this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
90% of the time I run in awd. One thing I did notice was the front diff fluid was extremely dirty compared to the rear diff fluid when I changed everything this past weekend.
chronix....I doubt that dirty fluid would cause your awd steering problems but that's an easy test...change it and see what happens

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The AWD of a Polaris when switched on will only engage if the rear tires break loose and spin 20% of their circumference. On pavement riding normally with AWD switch on the machine should steer normally because you aren't in AWD unless you spin the rear tires. If yours is steering hard with AWD switch on and you aren't spinning the rears something is wrong because it shouldn't be in AWD. This is for the regular AWD system. On the new close ratio AWD machines the rears only have to spin a fraction of the older design before AWD is in
i understand how it is supposed to work on the earlier models but since the change to the quicker engaging 4wd on the 2015s, i don't find this to be true. i also see switches labeled 2x4/AWD on some models whereas mine reads 2x4/4x4. everyone in the sportsman 1000 section of the forum is in agreement that it is much harder to steer with the switch positioned in the 4x4 mode, even without a loss of traction to engage the 4wd. this has me thinking that the 4wd engages right away with the switch in the 4x4 mode. if it doesn't, then i don't see why it would be so much harder to steer. this has been like this from the day mine rolled out of the showroom, the same for my buddies who have 2015 model years as well.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
851 Posts
my 13 800 sportsman I can run in awd all day no problem don't even notice it. my 1000 xp with the new awd I DO notice it engaged in the steering/ handling even on flat ground, but I like it better for the tight technical situations, dont get me wrong I like them both a lot I think polaris has the best awd/4x4 of them all but I do prefer the "quick engagement" of my 1000xp for my riding

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
chronix....I doubt that dirty fluid would cause your awd steering problems but that's an easy test...change it and see what happens
I don't have a awd steering problem, I think thats Sportsmanxp1000. It was just something I found strange this time around when I changed the fluids. The last time I was out riding was some really spirited higher speed riding so that could be why it was so dirty.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I don't have a awd steering problem, I think thats Sportsmanxp1000. It was just something I found strange this time around when I changed the fluids. The last time I was out riding was some really spirited higher speed riding so that could be why it was so dirty.
Sorry chronix.....confusion set in undoubtedly...lol

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i understand how it is supposed to work on the earlier models but since the change to the quicker engaging 4wd on the 2015s, i don't find this to be true. i also see switches labeled 2x4/AWD on some models whereas mine reads 2x4/4x4. everyone in the sportsman 1000 section of the forum is in agreement that it is much harder to steer with the switch positioned in the 4x4 mode, even without a loss of traction to engage the 4wd. this has me thinking that the 4wd engages right away with the switch in the 4x4 mode. if it doesn't, then i don't see why it would be so much harder to steer. this has been like this from the day mine rolled out of the showroom, the same for my buddies who have 2015 model years as well.
Sportsman maybe with the newer close ratio awd on the newer machines....the tire slippage may be so slight as to get the hilliard to engage, that the bike is nearly in AWD all the time when the awd switch is engaged, and that would account for the hard steering on hard pack or concrete. I really am just guessing. Does your owners manual tell you anything about how the new awd system is supposed to work?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sportsman maybe with the newer close ratio awd on the newer machines....the tire slippage may be so slight as to get the hilliard to engage, that the bike is nearly in AWD all the time when the awd switch is engaged, and that would account for the hard steering on hard pack or concrete. I really am just guessing. Does your owners manual tell you anything about how the new awd system is supposed to work?
it doesn't say anything that my manual for my 850 didn't. the manuals are pretty much identical for that aspect. it makes no mention of "on demand" all wheel drive at all, just all wheel drive. as i said previously, some models have AWD on the switch and others have 4x4 on the switch which leads me to believe that there is a difference. what has me confused is that they advertise the "on demand" AWD right under the features for the 2015/16 Sportsman 850/1000s in a short video along with the following: The best just got better, the high-performance close ratio AWD system engages all four tires faster than ever when you need more traction. Works with the EPS system to provide Sportsman signature handling and reverts back to 2WD when you’re back on solid ground.
if that were true, then there would be no explanation as to why it is so difficult to steer with the switch positioned on the 4x4 setting when on solid ground. the owner's manual itself makes no mention of wheel slippage being needed before it will engage in 4wd, just that the RPMs need to be below 3100. it also makes no mention that the 4wd will engage on it's own but return to 2wd when you're back on solid ground. if everyone else's 2015 models weren't hard to steer while in 4x4 mode, i would say it is just an issue with mine however it seems to be par for the course for all of them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts