Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 550 xp, what's the Allen screw for and how should it be adjusted on the brake calipers?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Are you talking about the pad stop set screw? All that does is position caliper so pads arent riding with friction on rotor. Change your pads and i doubt you will ever have to mess with it to be honest....call it a "centering" screw for laymens terms

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did change my pads. I took that screw out and put it back in tight and now my brakes are locked up. How should it be adjusted?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
So there is no drag on the rotor...aka tire spins freely without binding. Sounds like you need to start backing it off 1/4 turn at a time until your tires spin free

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK will do. I just thought there was a specific adjustment

·
Registered
567 Posts
Adjust until brake pads have a slight drag on the rotor then back screw out 1 turn.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find anything on it in the service manual

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Probably just one of those things, kinda like seating and adjusting wheel bearings...just a common sense type feel thing since it either turns freely (wheel) or it doesnt. Drag is bad for obvious reasons...so just back it off so it allows float of the pads over the rotor.

Think about how a guy adjusts drums breaks on old cars and trailer...juuuuust a wee bit of drag. Kind of same thing, but ya just want them to turn freely as friction will prematurely eats pads.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I usually just leave mine flush with the outside edge of the caliper. Haven't had any problems.

·
10,693 Posts
The set screw is for adjusting the pads. Put a drop of blue loctite on the threads. Turn the screw in until the non-movable pad makes firm contact with the disc then back it off 1/2 turn. This centers the caliper so you get maximum braking pressure and even wear on BOTH pads.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok...so I have a 2017 XP 1000 touring. I backed the set screws all the way out and both front pads are still rubbing on both tires. If you try to spin the wheels while jacked up they don't "free wheel". They are a tad bit looser now than with the factory settings but it sure seems like the pads are rubbing. Is this just the way they are? I see no other way to get the pads further apart. With 1500 miles you would think they might have worn down a bit, but I don't use the brakes that often as the sportsman has very aggressive engine braking.

Would be really curious to have others jack up the front end and see just how "free" the wheels do or do not spin.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
generally no matter the vehicle your going to have pad contact with the rotor. heck when I would do drum brakes years ago you adjusted them until the shoe contacted the drum. I've actually played with the adjustment in an attempt to get more life out of a set of pads for my Sporty. I backed off the adjustment screw after making contact with the rotor one full rotation/360deg instead of the 180deg standard.

·
10,693 Posts
If you don't put that adjustment screw where it belongs you won't have full braking power and uneven pad wear.

·
Registered
747 Posts
ok...I will re adjust it back in I guess...at that point it rubs enough it sqeaks every 360 which is what started me down this path. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
oh wow you were actually going to leave that adjustment screw out??

·
Registered
747 Posts
I put it back in, but only finger tight then lock tighted it. The squeaking stopped...brakes still seem really responsive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts