Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum,

Have a '03-700 Sportsmen in Michigan. Every fall I elk hunt in Colorado.
Have been changing the jets and clutch weights for trip. Not hunting very high 8,800 ft max. Does any one have an opinion if I really need to change jets and clutch weights.

Thank

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
My wife said I needed a additude adjustment, I don't think its the samething. And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

There may be a couple easier things one mught try instead of changing the jets. When we ran Carb motor machine in the mountains, we had a couple quick easy solusitons worked out for our machines. On some if it was running rough we might take the air box lid off to fix it. One of the other machines had filter design where that was not possible, so we bought another airbox lid that we just used when we went up to mountains to ride. We 1"s hols every where that we could on that lid and put it back on that was that machines Colorado lid.

The basics of this is, that if you have a way to lean it out without chaning the jets just by adding air.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I always change jets and clutching at elevation. When you consider at 8000 feet you have lost 24% of your power. By not changing the the jetting or the clutching you will end up lugging the motor, which ends up being hard on the motor and clutching.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Considering the hassle it is to change all that for one trip a year and that he has a 700, so there should be enough power on tap, I know I would not be changing it all around every year. We have been going out there for 15 years and sledom did we ever have to rejet.

I think we had a Polaris 500 that we rejeted one year, when it was all stock but the next year I had a k&n filter on it an extra lid for the air box with holes in it and a tunable exahaust that I could open up the flow on.

Even if its jetted right its not going to give the all power back, its just not going to be running rich fouling plugs. Jettting is all about the air fuel mix, if you can get more air to it some how, you may not need to rejet. Thats what I was reffering to about the alterations to the air box lid, or some other options for adding more air while your up there to get a better air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
527 Posts
No argument there, what you did was a very good idea. I can change clutching and re jet in about an hour so not a real big deal for me. The more power the better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I lived in Buena Vista Colorado for years and maintained high altitude jets in both my 400 and 500 sportsman machines. After moving to AZ, changing jets back and then taking a trip back to Colorado for some quad riding, we didn't experience noticable power loss until around 10,500 ft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
we where just in Wyoming last weekend with 2 03 700 sportsman's and my 1995 425 running anywhere between 6000 to 9800 feet... 1 of the 700's had the stock (minisota) jeting and ran perfect, and the other 700 had an adjustable carb that was leaned out (got about 10 more miles per tank). my 425 had the stock jetting and would just bog so we took off the air box cover then it was drivable but if held wide open for extended amount of time it would start to sputter and lose power and had a dead zone below mid throtel (although this was probably caused by my main Neddel valve going bad / the vacuum thing that ultimately made my atv unrideable)

so with your 03 700 you should be ok without changing anything as we had the same year and model up there and it ran great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts