Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed the oil and filter on my 05 500 sportsman, aprox. 8K miles and there was a bunch of filings in the bottom of the drain pan when I drained the oil into a jug. The motor doesn't make any noise or run bad . Just wondering (from any of you guys that have rebuilt them) what your thoughts are on how long I should keep running it and change up the oil more often or if I should tear it down before it blows , I have never been inside one of these engines,, Thanks :Hilton

·
8,717 Posts
You got any pictures of the oil? How long had it been since the previous oil change? Did you cut open the filter and spread out the paper inside to see what was in it? How big and how much filings? They'll have a little normally.

You might try to get or borrow a mechanics stethoscope to listen around different parts of the engine. A small section of pipe or tubing will also work as a poor man's stethoscope. If it still runs good and no strange noises or smoke I'd probably just do a compression check on it, watch it close and change the oil again in about 10-20 hours. Then do the above and see what you have. While you have the plug out for the compression check, look closely to see if it has any residue on it and check the color to make sure it's not running too lean and eroding material off the piston.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
There are bound to be a few shavings if it hasn't had fresh oil in a while. When I hyrdolocked my engine and blew a crank bearing, there weren't a few shavings, the oil looked like a little girl had poured glitter in it. But, probably better safe than sorry, do the compression check. If it is fine, ride it for a couple of hours. Then pull the dipstick and look for sparkles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are a bunch of moving parts inside, crank bearings, piston etc... The piston rings break down and wear over time I would think that is what it would be after 8k on the machine. Anything that breaks down inside had no place to go except the oil/filter. I would just change oil a little more frequently and keep an eye to make sure its not a very regular thing. Its like us, we break down, but keep running!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies,,It starts and sounds ok,, sounds like more frequent oil changes are in order until I notice a change,, I can do most of the work myself ,, cheaper than buying a new machine,,,Thanks again,, Hilton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts