Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get some feedback from anyone who is willing to give it. I'm a new 2018 Sportsman 850 owner who is looking to upgrade tires/wheels. I've settles on the wheels which will be the ITP SS212 in Matt Black (4/3 offset front) I love the way they look and they have a lifetime bend/break warranty which is huge in my opinion. Note: Current Tires are CST 26x8x14 Front, and 26x10x14 Rear)

But, I've been all over the place with which tires and which size to go with. I seem to be continuously finding myself going back to the AMS Slingshot XT. Tons of reviews and video's, etc and I've literally read nothing negative. The largest they come in is a 26x9x14 front and 26x11x14 rear (I emailed AMS to verify). Then I stumble upon the Pro Armor Daggers in 27x9x14 front and 27x11x14 rear. Damn do they look good. But NOTHING on reviews and its like the tires just came out yesterday. There is almost nothing on the interwebs about this tire. No Reviews, No Video's, No Forum discussions, etc.

My question is, considering everything above and the fact I will be using these tires for trail riding here in Michigan where there is everything from mud, sand, hardpack, and I will be headed to the sand dunes on the west side of the state 1 time a year. What are everyone's thoughts?

Thank you so much for the reading the long post and your feedback in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Pro Armor is Polaris brand of tire. The Dagger is in the Sportsman accessory catalog as a pure mud tire. Their ratings show it as a good trail (hard pack and loose surface) and mud tire. The Pro Armor Attack is listed as the all around tire.

I have never run any of the Pro Armor tires. I know we have them at the dealership, but I am not in sales and don't really do too much with the tires any more so I can't say whether we sell them or not. I can ask next time I go in though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. if you could find out your service and sales departments thoughts on them it would help. I really like the way they look. I know they are a bit on the heavy side at around 35lbs a piece for fronts and 39lbs for the rear. Respectivly the Slingshots are 23lbs front and 26 lbs rear. Which is a big difference.

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
I'm going to have to burst your bubble and say "NO"!!!!! to it all!

First the rims are no good cause the 4+3 offset on an XP chassis is RIDICULOUS looking!!!! Don't go wider then 5+2! For less suspension/steering component stress go with 6+1.

Slingshots probably not going to hold up to well if you get into jagged rocks. Or bounce off one at speed and pinch flat. Bias ply, 6-ply, and they're super light equals lots of plugs!!!!

Daggers are heavier and 8-ply. Look to be the better of the two. BUT they're bias ply so keep looking.

You sound like a candidate for the OG Maxxis Bighorns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it looks like the offset is 4+2 not 4+3... Does that make much of a difference? Also, the Big Horns from what i've read or not good at all in the mud (tight tread pattern with no clearing capabilities)

Still looking for more feedback. FYI the rear wheels are a 5+3 offset.
Front 14X6 with 4+2 offset
Rear 14x8 with a 5+3 offset.

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
You are correct the Bigs are not a great mud tire, but decent. But what's mud?????? I don't think you're running much skeg up in MI, :nixweiss:. If you're looking to get into top of the tire bottom of the fender mud then the Bigs ain't gonna get it done!!! Then there's sand you mentioned riding in. A tire that's good in sand isn't going to be good in mud and vise versa. Ones made for digging ones made for floating. So its either a happy medium or you cater to the one you'll be riding in the most!!

Rims are still no bueno. The lower the # on the right the less it sticks out past the fender.

No need to buy different front and back rims either, just buy the same rim for all four corners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts