Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amsoil offers two ATV oils: 5w-50 Synthetic ATV/UTV Engine Oil, and 0w40 Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil. My manual calls for 5w50, and that oil is marketed to Polaris owners. However, an Amsoil dealer suggested that the 0w40 would provide superior performance. Apparently, the 5w50 was just made for Polaris owners who insist on that viscosity, but the 0w40 had a superior additive package and better performance characteristics. Can anyone offer further insight?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
175 Posts
Amsoil also has their signature series oil. In various viscosity ranges. Many people attest it’s the best oil ever made.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Amsoil is great oil. Is it the best ever? It is expensive and needed to pay for their extensive promotion making that claim.
E9CD46C5-87B0-4BB1-AFF3-8174CF8B5821.jpeg
But most oil brands make that claim.
BTW- I use Shell Rotella T6

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
You can use any damn oil you want to - mineral or synthetic - 0w10 or straight 60w - JASO or API rated - gasoline or diesel approved - to some extent oil is oil. If you were stranded in the desert and needed oil for your engine and the only oil available was cod liver oil or banana oil or tea tree oil, put it in the engine and it will run and run well. How long it will last is not known, but it would get you out of a bad situation. Truth be known, you can lubricate an engine with water, but it has to be under very high pressure and needs a polymer added to it to reduce ring wear and the engine needs to be made of non ferrous material (ceramic would be a good choice), but oil is cheap and does a good job. My Ford F150 has run 200,000 miles with the cheapest 5w30 oil I can get for it, but I change oil every 3000 miles - if you want to run 10,000 miles between oil changes, you need a synthetic oil. If you run the engine at extreme RPM with oil at about 300 degrees F, then synthetic is a better choice.

I'm tired of the oil debate - I have run engines with Cenex, Walmart, NAPA, Tractor Supply, Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State and Quaker Maid (recycled used oil) and never had an oil related failure. The failures have been from excessive RPM, overheating and improper break-in, but oil is manufactured to perform better for specific applications.

With that said; I worked on industrial machines for 25 years. One machine called AW32 Hydraulic oil, another specified Mobil 10w40 and a German machine called for Magura Blood (a proprietary formula mineral oil). One machine called for the oil to be changed yearly and one specific hydraulic press which had a 500 gallon oil reservoir specified the oil never be changed. It specified an oil filter change only when the sensor on the filter shut the system down. The manufacturer stated the servo valves would malfunction if a 20 micron particle got into them and there was a greater chance of getting dirt into the system by changing the oil. We were required to externally clean the filter housing prior to removal and the filter was not to be removed from the cellophane envelope until immediately prior to insertion into the filter cavity. The filter was to be handled by rubber gloved hands and if the filter was set down on any surface prior to insertion it was to be disposed of and a sealed filter used. In appx. 15 years of nearly 24/7 operation, the neither the filter or the oil was changed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amsoil also has their signature series oil. In various viscosity ranges. Many people attest it’s the best oil ever made.
Thanks. It seems that the signature series is probably a better choice for ATV applications not requiring wet clutch compatibility.

One machine called for the oil to be changed yearly and one specific hydraulic press which had a 500 gallon oil reservoir specified the oil never be changed.
Interesting. Wasn't aware of situations like this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 5w 50 signature series is what I use in my 570 and my 850 with good results. I use Amsoil in all my vehicles too. Just my personal choice. Oil is extremely debated. Use what you feel is best and do your own research to decide what is best for your application. Opinions are a lot like buttholes. Everyone has em and some stink worse than others. Safe riding! Shout to my buddy Mr Ed!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts