Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im sure this has been discussed and ironically this forum has banner ads for amsoil. I just purchased my first ever ATV... its a 2014 Sportsman XP 850 LE pearl white. the dealer and everyone else told me I HAVE to use Polaris fluids and oil because Amsoil is not made in the correct weight, i.e. 5w50... ironically it is for automobiles there is a 5w50, if you look what they recommend however they select a 0w40... so im just curious if there are folks who use amsoil and what weight yall use and if there is an issue with using it. so far it appears they don't make the oil filters too... :0(

thanks
Michael :cowboy:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tell your dealer if they are going to require you to use Polaris fluids, they must provide them to you free of charge. That's a Federal law, it's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Amsoil 0W-40 Powersports oil will work great for you. The new Amsoil 5W-50 is designed mainly for Ford engines that require 5W-50, particularly Mustangs with the "Track Pack". However, it too would work just fine in your 850. Some ATVs can't use "car" oils because they contain friction modifiers that aren't compatible with wet clutches. This isn't an issue with Polaris ATVs because they don't have wet clutches. Probably the most commonly used oil by people here on the forum is Mobil 1 0W-40, which is actually their "European Car Formula".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell your dealer if they are going to require you to use Polaris fluids, they must provide them to you free of charge. That's a Federal law, it's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Amsoil 0W-40 Powersports oil will work great for you. The new Amsoil 5W-50 is designed mainly for Ford engines that require 5W-50, particularly Mustangs with the "Track Pack". However, it too would work just fine in your 850. Some ATVs can't use "car" oils because they contain friction modifiers that aren't compatible with wet clutches. This isn't an issue with Polaris ATVs because they don't have wet clutches. Probably the most commonly used oil by people here on the forum is Mobil 1 0W-40, which is actually their "European Car Formula".
Perfect thanks for the info, I assume that's your HAM call sign? mines KC8VJX

Anyhow I became a dealer last year and pretty much have used their oil in all my engines, but they really made a big stink at the dealer about it. also they said my clutch is a wet clutch is that also not the case?

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
426 Posts
The only Polaris ATVs with a wet clutch are the Predator and Outlaw. All others have a CVT with a belt. If they're trying to tell you it's a wet clutch, I'd find a different place to go if you ever need service.

And yes, that is my call sign. :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If they're trying to tell you it's a wet clutch, I'd find a different place to go if you ever need service.
X2 on that..... if they are telling you that you have a wet clutch, they have no business doing work on your ATV!!!

As for the (Amsoil) oil.... it will be just fine. You'll find many do use the Polaris Coolaid ("brain washed" into believing it's better cause it's sticker matches the brand name on the bike), While many others use Rotella T6, Mobil 1, and Amsoil to name a few of the popular ones.....

I personally use Mobil 1 0W40 and a Purolator filter..... simply because it's my oil of choice, the 0W40 is a good suit to my area's (MN) year-round climate and I can get a gallon jug and 2 filters from my local Walmart all for about $35 (vs. $40-50+ for a Polaris "kit"). Which performs 2 oil changes not just 1, so I can change it on both of my quads!

I feel Polaris has selected a 5W50 oil, as one oil will cover their "world wide" sales territory in one or two flavors (being: 5W50 & Heavy Duty).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I use Amsoil in the engine, lucas in the rear diff and the Polaris fluids in the front diff and trans. I used the mobil 1 0w40 in a pinch before a quickly planned ride and I found the valve noise was more noticeable. I swapped back to Amsoil as soon as it came in and the valve noise went away. I used Mobil 1 for years in my predator and never had any problems, being its a European car formula it doesn't have the friction modifiers.

I want to go to Amsoil in everything, I just need to get off my ass and order it. No one local carries what I need.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You will be fine with the Amsoil in whichever flavor you choose in the 0W40 or 5W50. Just for shits and grins I would go back to the dealer and ask him to explain the workings of your wet clutch on your ATV even though it doesn't have one then I would be looking for another dealer to do service work on it. Somebody at that dealer has no clue what they are talking about. You don't have to run POPO oil either if you don't want to. I have never seen a dealer deny warranty work before because of what oil and filter you run. They have to prove at their expense if the oil did cause the failure and they just will not do it. Kinda expensive to get somebody to prove this is what my dealer said.

Ronnie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts