Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my buddies swear by amsoil for their quads. They say every other oil is sub par. What's your guy's opinions?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I trust and use Amsoil in just about everything I own from my 2016 Scrambler 1000, 2013 Silverado, 2016 Traverse, and even my John Deere lawn mower. With that said the main reasons for failure that are oil related is running an engine out or low on oil or not changing it near enough. I have never seen an engine suffer damage due to a slightly different viscosity, within reason, or using a different name brand.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I run Amsoil, but I wouldn't say every other oil out there is sub par. I would use whatever you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The discussions about oil are numerous, passionate and opinion based. The fact is there is no "best" oil. All are similar in nature and all are adequate provided they meet the specifications of the manufacturer. There is a thread on a sister site "Polaris Ranger Forum" that discusses this. There is also an excellent web site,
"bobistheoilguy" if you want to know more. Synthetics are better than mineral, especially during cold weather start-ups, is the only proven factoid about oil.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The discussions about oil are numerous, passionate and opinion based. The fact is there is no "best" oil. All are similar in nature and all are adequate provided they meet the specifications of the manufacturer. There is a thread on a sister site "Polaris Ranger Forum" that discusses this. There is also an excellent web site,
"bobistheoilguy" if you want to know more. Synthetics are better than mineral, especially during cold weather start-ups, is the only proven factoid about oil.
Agreed.
I gravitate toward more antiwear and detergents in the add packs that I can buy locally so I tend to use synthetic diesel oils.
Amsoil is good oil as are Shell Rotella T6 & Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck in 5w40 and 0w40.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'd say the scamsoil is the sub par option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Provided you are using oils recommended by the OEM, proper maintenance is a much bigger concern than the oil used.

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I trust and use Amsoil in just about everything I own from my 2016 Scrambler 1000, 2013 Silverado, 2016 Traverse, and even my John Deere lawn mower. With that said the main reasons for failure that are oil related is running an engine out or low on oil or not changing it near enough. I have never seen an engine suffer damage due to a slightly different viscosity, within reason, or using a different name brand.
Agreed. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who had a serious oil related engine failure after using Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. Any decent quality oil. Failures result from not changing the oil, water in the oil, running it low, etc. I looked at a Grizzly one time when I first got into ATVs. He said his kids just rode it around the property and he changed the oil once a year. I thought it was a little noisy, so I pulled the dipstick - nothing. He got some oil and added more than a quart to get it full. And then when you pulled the dipstick it looked like tar. It had cooked down to a black sludge. Adding oil just diluted it a bit. That's what kills engines. I politely declined.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Agreed. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who had a serious oil related engine failure after using Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. Any decent quality oil. Failures result from not changing the oil, water in the oil, running it low, etc. I looked at a Grizzly one time when I first got into ATVs. He said his kids just rode it around the property and he changed the oil once a year. I thought it was a little noisy, so I pulled the dipstick - nothing. He got some oil and added more than a quart to get it full. And then when you pulled the dipstick it looked like tar. It had cooked down to a black sludge. Adding oil just diluted it a bit. That's what kills engines. I politely declined.
One more thing Polaris does not use a wet clutch so you can use a oil with a friction modifier like shell Rotella 5w-40w. This oil tests better than most .:arms:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
One more thing Polaris does not use a wet clutch so you can use a oil with a friction modifier like shell Rotella 5w-40w. This oil tests better than most .:arms:
Rotella T6 is wet clutch safe, it's JASO MA rated.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rotella T6 is wet clutch safe, it's JASO MA rated.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Are you sure :ura::ura::ura:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts