Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Sprtsmn XP 1000 Touring
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 SP 1000 touring
Last fall I bought a YIX30L battery, and I just removed the original YIX20HL. I don't know why I bought the 30 amp battery. The YIX30L fits if I remove the bottom Battery Spacer (P/N: 5438228), (should the spacer be removed?) however the hold-down bracket does not fit.

1. Looking at the IPB they have a bracket for a 30 Amp battery (bracket P/N: 5353600). I guess that the direction I'm going to go in. Is that what you do?? Battery tray has two slots.

2. Do odyssey batteries use the same Yuasa screw and post terminal? PIA when the battery is vertical,.

3. There are 5 ring terminals for the positive post screw and 4 with the neg post (one's a tender). Any accessory to move them to offset screwed post so you only have to contend with one ring terminal for battery posts. I know its tight The starter always stays with the battery post. I do that with marine batteries (fuse block), easy.

4. This a great time to do the Voltage Regulator (VR) since the battery is covered with cable that's needs to be disconnected. How do I remove the VR bolts? How do you reach those nuts on the back? How do you reinstall those nuts? Remove the front wheels maybe?

·
Super Moderator
15,147 Posts
The larger battery is an option that's available if you want more battery capacity. And yes, you must remove the spacer and change the bracket to install the larger battery. If you don't want or need more battery capacity, then use the standard battery, spacer and bracket.
Not sure why you'd change the VR if there's nothing wrong with it but it's about as simple as it gets... two screws and an electrical connection. Takes about 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Polman appreciate advice/comments. The VR is not easy, it should be.. On this machine the VR is bolted with nuts, The nuts turn when the two bolt turns (IPB says "nylock flange nuts (P/N: 7547274)). I'm going to try with a 1/4 socket now that I know its 6mm (pack the area with rags first) . May have to take wheel off. The nut may have been locked (friction lock) but not anymore. If I put tension on the bolt (driver under the bolt head) it will unscrew. Now the VR is loose. If I get it out how will I install it.

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The VR nut and bolt is 10mm. For the VR right nut (bolt) you need to reach in thru the right wheel well to get the nut. For the left bolt/nut you can loosen/tighten the nut from the top. Need a 1/4 dr and socket and have a deep 10mm socket ready. Simple job now that I now how the reach the VR nuts and there 10mm. I'm going to write that on the VR..

Bought a BlueSea and a Hardline terminal battery post wire management fixture/accessory. See which fits and return the other. I also have a Bluesea fuse block I'd like to hook up to the battery - there's a thread here someplace. Any all accessories (warmers, lights) go to the BlueSea fuse block

·
Registered
653 Posts
The larger battery is an option that's available if you want more battery capacity. And yes, you must remove the spacer and change the bracket to install the larger battery. If you don't want or need more battery capacity, then use the standard battery, spacer and bracket.
Not sure why you'd change the VR if there's nothing wrong with it but it's about as simple as it gets... two screws and an electrical connection. Takes about 15 minutes.
I replaced my VR with a RM STATOR and my OEM VM was still working.
I replaced a lot of good parts with something that I think is the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts