Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking to upgrade my Garmin eTrex Legend so that I can download trail maps on it. I have narrowed down to 2 choices, Gpsmaps 62s or the Oregon 450. I have found both new for around $200. My initial thoughts are that the 62s would be more rugged and the touch screen for the atv environment kind of concerns me. The plus to the Oregon is the larger screen. Let me know what u all think. Either way they will be on Ram mounts with downloaded trail maps.

Want to get this going shortly because I have a ride coming up on January 11th.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they make screen protectors for those? Thats my biggest concern is scratches being a touchscreen

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the montana and yes they make screen protector for the oregon. I got mine at amazon.

cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
322 Posts
In my opinion get the biggest screen you can. I have a Montana and the screen protector works great and the touch screen is much easier than button.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the folks at gpscity.com and 2 different people recommended the 62s over the 450 saying the 62s is a more rugged unit

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I talked to the folks at gpscity.com and 2 different people recommended the 62s over the 450 saying the 62s is a more rugged unit
I got the same feedback from my sources as well, I went into the store wanting a touchscreen and left with a 62 (base model) because after going threw features I realized I did not need half of them.

I will say my 62 has been flawless in the rain,mud,Canadian winters,complete canopy of the north and still 100% signal and is very easy to use without all the unnecessary features (for me). I get 21-24 hrs of use off normal alkaline batts. You can drop it because its shock proof,dust proof and water proof...solid unit if your ruff with your stuff (I am)..
I use it for track back,finding trails and logging way points..that's it..
The touch screens are great units too,it just depends what is important to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm using the Garmin Oregon 600 and can testify to its durability. I can only assume that the 450 is similar in construciton. It also gets great reception under the canopy trees.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the Oregon 450 for Christmas and like it but I have yet to take it out on the ATV. I haven't bought the ram mount and it is to cold for me to ride:bawling:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a gpsmap 60 which is really similar to the 62, and they are very rugged, and work great on atvs, fishing, hicking, geochaching, or what ever else.

You can get decent universal screen protectors that you cut to fit anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts