Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Questions from Another New Guy From Tennessee

Posting here in the newbie section so I won't get blasted for repeat questions.. If someone can point me to the right thread that would be great.

I recently traded for a 2001 500 H.O. Sportsman 4x4 (on demand). It was really smoking bad, but not as much now. The smoke is white/blue, and smells of oil. Also shows some black at times. Again it is not as bad now, but still there. So far I have found the spark plug was very loose. It is dry and chalky black. Gap was right. cleaned and replaced correctly. This thing runs like a scalded dog. I had a 2002 Scrambler 500x back in the day and this thing is a fast if not faster.
My question: Would the valves needing to be adjusted cause the smoke or is it going to be the rings? What else would cause the oil smoke?

Next, AWD, My understanding is that means when the switch is on if the rear wheels slip/spin the front engages. My question: is that correct and when will the light be on, when the wheels are engaged or when the switch is "on"?

Next, my speedo does not work, lights up and I can see the hours/miles, but no needle movement.

So far that is all I have found. Anything else I should check for?

Thanks for your time.
For anyone interested, I'm in East TN...

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am no expert but it sounds like you got the right idea with the awd system. Rear wheels spins, fronts engage. also I believe the light would be on when the button is pushed not just when the front wheels engage. also if you have not yet I would check out thee air filter to see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and shout out.

How do I fix my speedo. I understand that the speedo controls the AWD. my needle dont work, so my AWD will not work... right?:hmmm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts