Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, got a Polaris Scrambler 400 4X4 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it looks like. I think it's a 97? Some of the tech things on it is it's water cooled, automatic type trans, selectable 4X4, two stroke, I bought it for $750.00. I got this for my wife so we could ride together "I have a Honda Rincon" but this thing got a power band that is pretty fast! I think it needs a brake master for the foot brake that's why I need a year on it. Is the front and rear brakes operated together by the left hand brake? If there is anything this Polaris is known for good or bad please let me know .Also the chain drive is loose I was told to remove the disc brake to get to the adjuster. I just bought a Utility trailer so we will be able to transport both of them. Glad to be on this site Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a 96 that looks the same as that, except my colors were purple struts and yellow stickers and black seat. the front and rear brakes are operated at the same time by the left hand lever. however you can use the rear brake by itself with the foot pedal. the previous owner to me never used the rear pedal so it was out of adjustment. on my 96 the rear brake pedal is adjustable.
mine has an overheating problem ;(

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Unless the scrambler is different, there should be a serial number tag on the gear shift housing. You should be able to get the year from the first two digits of that number. For instance, my 96 Sportsman serial number is 96-00588.

Someone please chime in if I am wrong.

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome aboard! Great group of ppl on this site

·
Registered
721 Posts
The rear foot brake on those older Gen3 models almost never work. You can make a "split brake kit" and add another brake lever on the other side of the handlebars so you can control the front and rear brakes independently. I can point you to my write up on it if you decide to go that route.

Also, don't put an aftermarket pipe on the 400 with a stock piston. The piston skirts tend to break off and cause a lot of damage.

Check the engine counterbalancer oil to make sure it's not milky. If it is, the water pump (seals) is leaking coolant into the oil and it will destroy the counterbalancer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts