Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks .. from London, Ontario.

Playing with my new (to me) 1994 Trail Boss 400 4x4.
I had issues with reverse but fab'd up a helper leaver to my reverse linkage on top of the tranny. Bit of a nuisance but works.
Then started to do the wiring fix for faulty front wheel drive but checked the hubs first and keys on both axles were sheered ($6 for a bar of the stuff.. fixed).

Now... I don't want to ride it until I identify the centre light being on all the time (idiot light bezel missing), just in case it has something to do with the oiling system.

Does anyone have the same machine that can help a guy out? (see pic)
I've marked the two lights I know just by shifting.

Thanks in advance. I'll have a proper manual before too long, but was hoping to solve this sooner.

Cheers All..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
That light could be a temp light or an low oil light. I have a 2000 Xplorer with a 250 2 stroke engine that has a fan in front of the engine to move air and a temp sensor on the upper rear motor mount. My son-in-laws 1990 Trail Boss (same 250 2 stroke) has a low oil level light there.

Does your oil pump work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to look up how to test the oil pump.
The oil reservoir appears pretty full, but I've only put a few miles on it.
I'll grab a can and top it off next time i'm out.

I might run a tank of premix to see if the oil reservoir level changes.
Might foul a plug but better than an engine.

Thanks so far..

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
According to the wiring diagram, that should be an oil tank level light - red/white (switched positive) wire goes to the sending unit - a purple/black wire goes to the dash light and a brown wire goes from the light to ground - disconnect one wire at the sending unit to squelch the light - I surmise the sending unit has failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.. I really should have posted this in the Trail Boss section. I'll follow up with my findings.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Testing the oil pump is fairly simple. I generally run a bit of pre-mix just for insurance while I do it. Like you said, better to foul a plug than an engine.

Just disconnect the tube that goes between the pump and intake. On my 250 engines, the tube goes into the intake just after the carb. Start the engine and hold the pump control all the way open while the engine idles. You will see just a few drops of oil at the end of the tube if it is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts