Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. A western New York grumpy old diesel technician (fancy for mechanic) here. I have recently made my first ATV purchase. It’s a 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 two stroke. It really was owned by an grandpa that only drove it on weekends. After 25 years of moderate use it needs some attention and a few new pieces. Hopefully you all don’t get tired of my questions. I have no owners manual so I don’t have any other place to look for answers. It’s not a Cat or Deere diesel so I’m a little lost. Anyway thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
12,614 Posts
Welcome! Hopefully someone can get you a manual here soon!!

Reactions: Scrappy507

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
1,795 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Scrappy507

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
777 Posts
Another western New Yorker. Second one today. How could we get annoyed by questions? It’s what we’re here for!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all. A western New York grumpy old diesel technician (fancy for mechanic) here. I have recently made my first ATV purchase. It’s a 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 two stroke. It really was owned by an grandpa that only drove it on weekends. After 25 years of moderate use it needs some attention and a few new pieces. Hopefully you all don’t get tired of my questions. I have no owners manual so I don’t have any other place to look for answers. It’s not a Cat or Deere diesel so I’m a little lost. Anyway thank you in advance
From one grumpy diesel guy to another, welcome. Just so happens I sold my 94 -400 about 10 months ago. Had it for 20 years. You came to the right place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From one grumpy diesel guy to another, welcome. Just so happens I sold my 94 -400 about 10 months ago. Had it for 20 years. You came to the right place.
The first thing I would do is change the oil in the counter balance. If you take the seat off, stand on the right side, with a flash light, look down as fare as you can. You will see a knob that has a s crew driver slot. That is the counter balance dip stick. VERY Important!

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can get repair/shop manuals from Clymer books.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,613 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldhunter1 fluid changes are on my list. I’m sure it’s been many years since it was done. I was planning to start a post in the correct thread to ask about fluid types I need. I also have one hub that makes not so nice noises when engaging the awd. Drive chains need to be replaced also. A few little things and it should serve my intended purpose just fine. I’m getting too old to be dragging deer out of the woods by hand. Although I feel it’s part of the hunt it just hurts too much anymore

·
Premium Member
8,613 Posts

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
What’s wrong with it? That thing looks nicer than new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck finding all the parts needed for a chains and sprockets replacement. I have a 96 6x6 an it took almost a year to sorce all the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
owners manuals are fre for download online

·
Premium Member
8,613 Posts

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Polaris Demand drive fluid in the front hubs, Polaris agl in the front gear case (more commonly known as a diff although that’s incorrect) Polaris agl in the transmission which Is pretty much another gear case. Atf can be used in the front hubs and a regular 80-90 gear oil can be used the the gear case and transmission although I recommend running the Polaris stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts