Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Polaris Demand drive fluid in the front hubs, Polaris agl in the front gear case (more commonly known as a diff although that’s incorrect) Polaris agl in the transmission which Is pretty much another gear case. Atf can be used in the front hubs and a regular 80-90 gear oil can be used the the gear case and transmission although I recommend running the Polaris stuff.
Thank you

Hello all. A western New York grumpy old diesel technician (fancy for mechanic) here. I have recently made my first ATV purchase. It’s a 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 two stroke. It really was owned by an grandpa that only drove it on weekends. After 25 years of moderate use it needs some attention and a few new pieces. Hopefully you all don’t get tired of my questions. I have no owners manual so I don’t have any other place to look for answers. It’s not a Cat or Deere diesel so I’m a little lost. Anyway thank you in advance
Hi, the front hubs use dextron ATF, the counter balance uses #30 motor oil. As I remember, I'll post more.

Hi, the front hubs use dextron ATF, the counter balance uses #30 motor oil. As I remember, I'll post more.
There is drive chain , o ring style, on ebay. For the front hubs, pry off the rubber cap to drain them, and flush them a little with parts cleaner. Uptake out the 1/8 inch pipe plug to refill with ATF. Fluid should be at the 4 o clock position.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
There is drive chain , o ring style, on ebay. For the front hubs, pry off the rubber cap to drain them, and flush them a little with parts cleaner. Uptake out the 1/8 inch pipe plug to refill with ATF. Fluid should be at the 4 o clock position.
Thank you. I did find the Oring style chain on eBay. I need to use it this weekend so the hubs will have to wait till next week. The range trans and counter balance fluids have been changed. I’m concerned now because I only drained about a tablespoon of fluid out of the counter balance. Guess I’ll wait and see where the new oil leaks out.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
The first thing I would do is change the oil in the counter balance. If you take the seat off, stand on the right side, with a flash light, look down as fare as you can. You will see a knob that has a s crew driver slot. That is the counter balance dip stick. VERY Important!
So I did change the counter balance oil. Didn’t get much out when I drained it. Now that it’s refilled I am creating large smoke clouds everywhere. It’s apparently burning the oil that I added to the counter balance. I also have oil on the outside of the belt guard and I assume on the inside too. Any thoughts on this new problem would be appreciated

So I did change the counter balance oil. Didn’t get much out when I drained it. Now that it’s refilled I am creating large smoke clouds everywhere. It’s apparently burning the oil that I added to the counter balance. I also have oil on the outside of the belt guard and I assume on the inside too. Any thoughts on this new problem would be appreciated
First, that compartment only takes a very little bit of oil, not to worry, if I remember right, if it is over filled, it will get rid of it on it's own to the outside and the engine using it. Did you use 30 wt in it? they use that so if it gets to full the engine can burn it. You may have to buy a plug if it fouls.

First, that compartment only takes a very little bit of oil, not to worry, if I remember right, if it is over filled, it will get rid of it on it's own to the outside and the engine using it. Did you use 30 wt in it? they use that so if it gets to full the engine can burn it. You may have to buy a plug if it fouls.
The drain plug is above the starter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.