Polaris ATV Forum banner

Another new guy

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldhunter1 
#1 ·
Hello all. A western New York grumpy old diesel technician (fancy for mechanic) here. I have recently made my first ATV purchase. It’s a 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 two stroke. It really was owned by an grandpa that only drove it on weekends. After 25 years of moderate use it needs some attention and a few new pieces. Hopefully you all don’t get tired of my questions. I have no owners manual so I don’t have any other place to look for answers. It’s not a Cat or Deere diesel so I’m a little lost. Anyway thank you in advance

#2 ·
Welcome! Hopefully someone can get you a manual here soon!!

Reactions: Scrappy507
#8 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

#9 ·
Oldhunter1 fluid changes are on my list. I’m sure it’s been many years since it was done. I was planning to start a post in the correct thread to ask about fluid types I need. I also have one hub that makes not so nice noises when engaging the awd. Drive chains need to be replaced also. A few little things and it should serve my intended purpose just fine. I’m getting too old to be dragging deer out of the woods by hand. Although I feel it’s part of the hunt it just hurts too much anymore

#10 ·
#18 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

#20 ·
Polaris Demand drive fluid in the front hubs, Polaris agl in the front gear case (more commonly known as a diff although that’s incorrect) Polaris agl in the transmission which Is pretty much another gear case. Atf can be used in the front hubs and a regular 80-90 gear oil can be used the the gear case and transmission although I recommend running the Polaris stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.